Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

555 or 555A

onebadsob3 ยท 2016-04-17 22:33

Hello everybody, We are upgrading from our old 4500 that is wore out but still does the job to a little new Ford TLB. I don't have the numbers with me at the moment but I will post them later but I think it was made November 1983. I'm trying to figure out if it is a 555 or a 555A. Seen some literature saying that they started the A in 83 but others say 84. Didn't know if it was like a car though and the A maybe actually came out near the end of the year 83? I'm sure that our Ford was probably not shipped out right away once built so I don't know when it actually was purchased but thinking sometime in 1984. I've tried looking for pictures to see if I could see the differences between a 555 and 555A but it has been hard to find. Some pictures show an A painted beside the 555 and some pictures listing it as a 555A just say 555. Also noticed that some have the 555 painted on the loader arm and not on the front hood piece. What is the real differences between just a 555 and 555A? Is there something that one will have that the other will not that will be able to let me know which I have or is the serial number about the only way to figure it out? Once I get the numbers, I will post back, thanks for any help, Charlie

Replies5
  1. #1El Hombre2016-04-18 01:16

    The ones I saw at the local Ford dealer were either 555 or 555A. I doubt from the factory they were leaving the A off or adding it to a straight 555. So go with what is painted on the tractor. I rented both and couldn't tell any difference from the seat. Talk to your local NH dealer to find where the vin number is located and how to decipher it.

  2. #2mitch5042016-04-18 07:39

    You may have already found this, but if not, maybe it'll help you out: http://www.tractordata.com/backhoe-loader/000/1/0/101-ford-555.html http://www.tractordata.com/backhoe-loader/000/0/9/90-ford-555a.html

  3. #3onebadsob32016-04-19 21:50

    Thanks for the input, it doesn't have an A painted beside the 555 so I guess it was a true 555. The only difference I really see on the tractor data is the A shows a little more power. My Unit Number is 3L10B, which if I figured right, would make it built November 10, 1983 on the day shift. Biggest reason for knowing which it is so I could buy a hard copy manual. Found a great guy that helped me out with a digital copy but thought about having a hard copy made at Staples to keep with me on the farm with our other manuals but the ones on ebay are only a few dollars more. Just don't want to buy an A and I should have bought the 555.

  4. #4jaluhn2016-04-21 16:09

    May very well be the same manual. I think the copy I have is 555/555A/555B but I could be wrong.

  5. #5Carlos Santos2016-04-21 16:49

    PLS Help... I need to know what is the oil for the gear box and the rear axle of the ford 555. Tnks