Well, the last thing I need to do on my 1978 case 580C is to sort out the loader valve. It's a parker valve (although I've heard there is sometimes another brand used also) The problem is that the previous owner had taken the lift spool apart and lost two parts, possibly three. The centering spring on the spool is held in place by two "caps" that slip over the spool, capture the spring between them and they are held in by the spool having an end that screws on. The guy lost one of the caps. The spool will now not center so the loader just goes into full down position all the time unless you hold it in center. His "solution" was to jam a huge bolt in the slot of the panel where the control arm is to hold it in center. Stupid. But the other problem is that he also lost the detent spring,...replacing it with what looks like a valve spring. Again,...stupid. I took the whole thing apart and found these problems. Ok,..simple solution right? Here's where it gets interesting. I have the parts and service manuals and the Case number for the loader control valve in the manual is D-72566 (Parker two spool models without PTO) The data tag on my loader valve says D-73509 The valve in the parts book shows an electronic solenoid device on the bucket spool,...my valve doesn't have this. Yea, I know,.."valve was changed" but i'll tell you, if it was changed, it was a Long time ago because it surely looks the same vintage as everything else on the tractor. I need to find the missing parts. Tried the usual folks including Dale at Backhoe Parts, Ebay, Google, and the parts network on the web that the major used parts dealers use. Best I can do is a complete replacement used valve assembly,...and it's fairly expensive, and there's no confirmation that it's the same number as mine. But I'd rather just find the parts, or at the very least, an exact match valve. Another weird quirk is that the official Case parts manual does not have a part number for the little retainers that keep the centering spring held in place. It just lists the centering spring in the illustration with no mention of the retainers. The service manual shows the spool broken down and has an illustration number for the retainers,...but that's not a part number, just an illustration number. Why doesn't the parts manual have a part number for the spring retainers themselves? And as for the entire Parker valve assembly,...Dale said he didn't even have the D-73509 number listed anywhere at all. What to do? (BTW, the parker number on the data tag is VDSP 22-DF-55) Any 580C experts out there that can shed some light on this mystery?
Thought a few pictures might help. Here is a shot of the parts manual showing the parts of the lifting spool. Then the second shot shows the workshop manual showing the spring and it's retainers expanded. Why isn't there a part number for these spring retainers? Also,...it looks like one is taller than the other. I have one of them, but don't know which one. I could make one if I knew the right size it needed to be.
I would go to the case parts lookup on line. Go to machine make and type in 480C, go to the hydraulic systems, find view 296 of the lift spool shown. The parts may match up after subbing some numbers. A quick check showed the tube end for the detent the same and the screw in the end of the spool N6014 with the detent machined on it is a good number with a $190.00 price tag. This may work along with some other parts you need for that lift spool and detent. I would check the threads in your spool first and see if it would thread in before buying it. You may find a bone yard that would just sell you the lift and detent spool parts out of a 580C with the parker valve also. Hope this helps in your search.
This outfit may have the detent spring: http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/partssearch.aspx?partnum=l30626&pst=exact Have you tried the spring retainers off the bucket spool to see if they'll work? Part# A14533 about ten bucks each at CASE
I suggest you contact: https://www.wengers.com/wholegoods/ They are very helpful and can ship anywhere in the USA
Thanks for the suggestions fellas, and I did do some additional searching. But before I could sort out a solution, a member here contacted me saying he had the exact valve out of a machine that had been in a fire. It was his second spare so he sent me a picture, and after confirmation,...sent me the spring, the spring seats, and the detent end,...gratis !! Now THAT's what I call a useful forum. This has been a great place to help me get this machine back in action. Yesterday I put it all together and did some grading on the stone driveway. Can't tell you how nice it was to have a machine that now operates like it should. New right rear brake slave cylinder is next, and after that I can safely say that the machine is 100% operational in all systems.
:drinkup
Nice to see another happy ending. Doesn't always happen but it's nice when it all comes together like you wish it would. Pass it on - Today, a guy I didn't know stopped working and gave me a ride to pick up an extra set of keys after a rented truck locked me out while it was idling. POS. On the way, he told me about the time it happened to him with his motorhome in Michigan. He wouldn't take any money, either. It's good to see people still helping each other out when they need something. The world hasn't completely turned to **** - not yet, anyway.
:thumbsup 2 good story's in one day !!!