Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580SL series 2 hydralic leak

rickw ยท 2016-04-18 07:02

My dad was running the machine over the weekend at said he developed a leak inside the boom. said it is like a mist or fog coming out which would be a very high pressure pin hole type leak? He also said it dont do it all the time? I will probably look at it today, I just thought I would see if anybody had any input or have maybe have had the same issue with there machine. Thanks in advanced for any help Rick

Replies3
  1. #1Billrog2016-04-18 10:58

    It would only spray when he used the function for that leaking hose or cylinder that has the pin hole. Is it in an extend a hoe ? Not uncommon for pin holes to develop at the weld on the head of the main boom cylinder.

  2. #2rickw2016-04-20 06:39

    We found it. I think it was a loose fitting at the bottom of the crowd cylinder. But Billrog yes when we bought our machine it had a crappy weld repair on the bottom of the boom cylinder. So we took it off and emptied it and took it to a guy and had him grind it down and reweld. No problems ever since.

  3. #3Billrog2016-04-20 11:21

    Happy for you it was an easy fix. The last 2 backhoes I've had to reweld the end of boom cylinders both times it took me to tries . 3 years ago. Still good 3 years later.