Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

555A Ford Backhoe No Forward

fordbackhoe ยท 2016-09-16 19:34

I have a 1984 555A with shuttle shift. When I first got it I thought it was working fine. I started to dig a hole and hoe was strong and worked very well. I stopped digging and went to drive back up to the barn and it would go forward a few feet and then it felt like you put on the brakes and the engine would labor down. I put it in reverse and it backed up fine I had to mess with it forward reverse awhile before I could get back up. The next time I tried, it worked fine until it got up to temp and same thing. It would labor down in forward but back up just fine. I took it to a multiple star repair and they had it all summer. I was told the clutches and drum needed replaced. I went and looked at what they pulled out and one thrust washer was bent and clutches were thin. They put a good used drum and new clutches in and all new seals. Now they tell me there is no forward at all but it will still go in reverse. They checked the pressure per the manual and I was told the pressures are fine at the noted RPMs. Now they tell me they are at a loss and my backhoe is out back waiting for an idea. They moved on to other jobs and put mine on the back burner. A torque converter problem would show up in both directions correct? Anyone have any ideas why forward issues but it will work in reverse? Thanks for any ideas.

Replies5
  1. #1El Hombre2016-09-18 14:13

    Go find a parts book online and see what is in there for forward reverse. I'm thinking it's one clutch pack for both and forward reverse is just the linkage moving a gear to reverse the rotation. So it could be the linkage and gear for forward, or something in the trans or rear axle that reverses rotation to go backwards. If one of the bearings supporting those rotating shafts is coming apart, it can act like a sprag clutch; it turns in one direction, but not the other. That would explain your symptoms. One thing you might try is to use the out riggers to lift the back wheels off the ground and see if you can get forward. Listen for any weird noises. Play around with it for a bit and see what you get. Try the diff lock and see if that makes a change. Might shut it off and keep the diff locked and spin the rears forward and back and see what's up, again listen for noise. Try every scenario you can think of while you're there. I'm not going to find a parts book for you, you need that anyway....

  2. #2Check Break2016-09-20 01:14

    Shuttle I haven't been inside one of these in 20 years so I'm a bit rusty. The TC isn't the problem. The drum has forward clutches on one side and reverse on the other. Assuming the snap ring on the forward clutch is still in place and the forward piston was air checked to make sure it locks up the forward clutches, it sounds like you have a pressure problem at the forward clutch, as in no pressure. Could be a problem with the valve body, the linkage in the bell housing, or the input shaft if a sealing ring broke on the shaft or is not sealing because of wear on the ring or in the bore. Check the linkage and if it's not there, your 555A is going to have to be split again and someone is going to have to pay close attention to everything behind the transmission pump and in front of the drum. Hope that helps.

  3. #3trickortrauma2016-09-22 19:39

    Ford 555 Shuttle Shift Valve Body You may be having the same issue that I am. I bought a 1981 555 and the shuttle shift never felt like it positively engaged that rear gear. Am in the process of rebuilding the valve body for the shuttle shift. Anybody know a reliable place to find old Ford Backhoe parts?

  4. #4fordbackhoe2016-09-28 20:46

    Problem solved I hope Sounds like the problem is solved Used drum was not exact, same spline same depth everything looked the same but after a closer look the oil port was drilled in a different location. The used AG Parts company could not identify what model or year or why the change. There is no stamping number on the drum to know what part number. Hope they got it now am going to pick it up and give it a go.

  5. #5ford 555a2021-02-03 15:22

    anyone have any insight? my 555a 1987 wont go into forward or reverse, acts like its in neutral. goes into gears fine, no grinding or noise but tires wont spin or no sound of an engagement when selecter is pushed to forward or reverse