I need to put a clutch in my Ford 555 backhoe and was wondering the best way to go about it? Anyone done it?
best way? hire it done just kidding tell us more like what is doing or not doing,, that's a 70s or early 80s machine back then there was lots of manual clutch torch convertos on lots also hang tite and better help will be around GOOD LUCK I got a 555a ford I have wiring diagrams and other info for 555 fords I have sent out CD s too big to upload for me
It's a 1979 with a manual clutch. Right now I have no clutch.
Best way depends on what kind of equipment you got; like how you support the halves when you split it. That kind of thang. Got a nice flat concrete floor? That comes in handy too. Local Ford dealer has a yuuuggge A frame on casters they roll around the shop to support the front half as they roll it away from the back. Then jack stands to support everything while they tear into it. If you got a local tractor dealer of any make, hang around the shop and steal some ideas. Didn't know they had clutches in 555's, all of them I rented or the neighbors were all shuttles. I thought clutches ended with the 4500.
Hey El Hombre thanks for replying! No I'm stuck doing job out in the yard. I cut up some rail road ties to support the frame and am going to use jacks to support the engine and Transmission. On the yesterday tractor forum they said to split the engine from the transmission and roll the engine forward to get to the clutch as the best way to do this job. I was just hoping on here for some more tips, but no one on here seems to have done them.
Hi Joe.. I'm no help on the clutch problem, but I too like the YT forum.. Only problem is> you get short sweet answers.. not indepth/step by step answers, like on here.. It sounds like someone over there has done it before..?? Just email them directly and see if they will help you OFF THE FORUM.. I like THIS FORUM MUCH BETTER.. for just that reason.!!! Good luck with your project.. TPG
You are very correct! Not much detail at all! The problem I'm having here is finding someone that has done the work with the machines that I have . I have gotten some help and have given some help here. Guys here are more willing to talk.
You really should get a service manual, ebay has them pretty cheap. I bought the genuine Ford manual back in '89 and then it was $125 which I didn't think was that expensive compared to a $11K machine. 90% of it is just pulling wrenches and keeping track of where everything goes. Major threat is not having the two parts absolutely balanced and having a bend when you pull it apart; likely to tweak the input shaft at that point and then the clutch won't release when you try it after putting it all back together. Other fun parts are controlled movement of front away from back when splitting, how you going to do that? Front weighs 3 tons? You're not moving that by hand. Then moving it back together and not mangle anything. You got maybe .010" wiggle room to get everything lined up to seat; if that. Probably not half that....Really should be on concrete floor with steel wheeled floor jacks. These are bigger parts than you'll probably ever mess around with again, respect them. And get the manual
as mentioned before I do have a 550/555 service manual in the pdf format I have mailed these out before on a CD
The first things i look at, does the machine have a cab/ rops/ open station. Next does it have a front counterweight or extenda-hoe, 4x1 bucket. The next question, how much slab area do i have access to and how much height, will the cab top clear the shed or carport. If going to do it outside what resources do i need. Me i would remove the loader bucket, and counter weight if it has one. If it's a open rops i set the hoe off also. Move machine to flat area and block both rear wheels, raise the loader up and install safety strut, remove hood and pipe, unhook the stop cable, fuel linkage, cut off fuel and remove the fuel line and return, tach cable, unhook batteries, and other elect wires as needed,remove the starter, drain the hyd tank and unhook lines going to the pump, aswell as steering system. Cut two wedges for the front axle and install. Use three jacks with cribbing, one back from the bell housing in the center and one on each side where the main frame runs, always crib it up. You need to either use a floor crane or floor jack, with jack under trans housing snug, snug up on the engine, remove the bell housing bolts. Balance the engine and use the front end to guide it apart around four foot. block the front and rear of each tire and secure the engine end on blocks or jack stand. Always be careful around those mousetraps, they can shift and fall if not blocked and cribbed good. It's not a big job if you have the jacks and cribbing, you have to have a good base for your crane or floor jack, if the wheels sink in the wood it will not roll with a load on it. This causes you to have to fight with it and more than likely a greater chance of it getting out of line. Once out remove the pressure plate and clutch disc, release bearing and yoke, inspect the flywheel and bearing. Are you running a 6x4 trans in your machine?
I'm agreeing with others I've never seen a 555 with a clutch
looks the owner right about clutch http://www.tractordata.com/backhoe-loader/000/1/0/101-ford-555.html
Guys Guys Guys I have a manual clutch. I have a maintenance manual to and it states in there that there was machines with the manual clutch. The guys at yeasterdays tractors was kind enough to tell me when mine was made. It's a 1979 unit. Never thought mine being a manual transmission was going to be such a big deal and for you guys to think they didn't make them they must not have made many I was just hoping for some tips that's all.
we in the south and we don't listen fast,, go slow with us LOL
It's not a problem! They must not have made many for people to think they didn't make any.
Well you learn something new everyday. We split ours. It was down on power thought it was the engine. Put in a rebuilt and still down on power. Split it again and replaced the torque converter. Problem solved. Took the converter to a Ford dealer the first time. One mechanic said I think it's not right . The other one more "experienced?? said its just fine" It was 25 years ago but I remember blocking up the rear half solid. Putting a floor jack or two under the front and rolling it forward. It wasn't to bad a job but such a long time ago I can't help with any details.
Thanks oarwhat! I've never done a clutch in anything but a motorcycle, so not really sure what to look for. The machines clutch was not engaging after sitting for a while I would jam it into gear and it would start working up until this point where I have nothing. Thanks for the help!
Joe, The best advice I can give is to buy a service manual. You can buy one on eBay for just a few bucks on pdf. That's what I did years ago and it has been invaluable. I have had to split mine twice in the past 10-12 years; once to replace flex plate and this time to replace torque converter. In fact, mine is in two pieces now but will be back together this weekend. I am not a mechanic and do not have a huge shop or concrete floor to work on, etc. I split mine using blocks for support and a small tractor with a boom pole to remove front end and then the engine from the front end. If yours is running you have a plus in that you can crank it and get all your hydraulics up and chained before disassembly. There are only six bolts that hold the front and back together and, while it is a tough job, it is not impossible with decent hand tools and common sense (and I'm running short on one of those). The manual gives step by step instructions for splitting the machine and I'm not sure I could have done it without one. Like someone else said though, those pieces are HEAVY; respect them.