Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

555e injector pump timing issue

stevie morris · 2022-12-12 20:27

I have a 1997 555e that I bought used and torn apart. The pump and all of the gearing on front of engine was in a box. The pump is a Lucas DPS model 8523A630X and I had it rebuilt. It does not have the locking pin. I put #1 at TDC on compression and aligned timing marks on engine gears. The problem is the pump gear does not have a timing mark. The factory manual I have shows one. It also shows using timing tools on the pump. I have searched the internet for the tool numbers with no luck. Does anyone know how to time this correctly or where I can get the tools.?

Replies11
  1. #1AllDodge2022-12-13 19:49

    Try to start a conversation with "thepumpguysc" which is a member her and he may know

  2. #2thepumpguysc2022-12-13 23:46

    Does the pump have a “drive hub” on it.. or is it just a drive shaft with no key..?? If u look inside the pump gear that doesn’t have any timing marks(dot) can u see where the key “was”.?? How about posting the picture in the manual..

  3. #3stevie morris2022-12-14 18:29

    The pump shaft has a keyway and a woodruff key. The gear has a keyway cut into it, does not have a timing dot. The section of the manual is attached that shows the timing tools. I have been trying to find a picture of the gear based on the NH number so I could just count the teeth from the keyway to the dot and mark my gear. All help is greatly appreciated.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2022-12-14 19:04

    That’s to set the timing mark on the mounting ear.. The drive shaft should be locked.!! If it’s not, u have to send it to the fuel shop to get it set.. THEN. U won’t have to worry about it.. Once the shaft is locked, mount the pump and slide the gear onto the shaft. Done.

  5. #5stevie morris2022-12-14 20:44

    That is the part I don't understand. There is no bolt to lock the pump shaft in position. When I picked the pump up, the keyway was at 12 o'clock and I could turn it either direction. I will give them a call tomorrow and ask for suggestions. I was thinking with the tool, starting at 30 degrees BTDC and moving it to 10 degrees BTDC to mark on the cover, I could use that align the gear to the idler and mark the gear. I'll post back what the shop says tomorrow.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2022-12-14 21:02

    My mistake.. I should have looked it up to begin with.. sorry.. Your right it doesn’t have the lock timing pin..

  7. #7thepumpguysc2022-12-14 21:44

    To find #1 start of injection.. Find the cylinder ON THE PUMP that goes to #1 on the engine.. Take a rubber tipped blow gun and pressurize the cyl on the pump.. Rotate the drive shaft by hand in the direction of the arrow on the name plate, until u get a solid stop of the drive shaft.. Repeat this until your satisfied it’s stopping on the same cyl each time..MAKE SURE your turning it in the right direction.. Now mount the pump and repeat the procedure.. once u get it to stop, slide the gear on.. But, I don’t think the engine times to TDC.?? You’ll have to find out.

  8. #8jessiedv2025-08-11 14:45

    I also have a 1999 NH 5555E pump that i need to have rebuilt It is a Lucas and the tag has no readable information on it. I do not see a key on the shaft and no way to lock it in place before i remove the gear. How should I time the pump? There are no marks on the pump gear. What can I do to time the engine when i get the pump back from the rebuild shop to install it correctly?

  9. #9Tatersmt2025-08-11 15:16

    Contact the Pumpguy on here and then send it to him.

  10. #10Swetz2025-08-11 17:20

    As Tatersmt said, PM the pumpguy. He has a lot of knowledge, and has rebuilt many members pumps...All were happy!

  11. #11_Weldman_2025-11-06 21:26

    Not this customer!