Looking to buy a machine to use primarily for small rural driveway jobs, but I would like to have something big enough to do some larger jobs like logging road maintainance. I can get an older (1968) 570 for about $12,000 but I am concerned that it may end up being too small for many things. I also found a 1990 670B for a little over $20,000 which is really more than I want to spend. Any thoughts on this anyone?
570 or 670 This Spring I purchased a 1979 570 A, repowered in '92 with a turbo. Plenty of power to the wheels. I maintain and plow about 3 miles of subdivision road in western Colorado. The road right of way is 30 feet with a driving surface that varies from 25 to 15 feet, none of it very straight. I prefer the 12 foot mouldboard for this work. At 20,000 lbs it will carry a blade full of material on solid surface, but lacks cutting weight on really hard/dry surfaces. I enjoy the turning radius, nothing short of amazing after running the old straight machines. Haven't been stuck yet, though I bogged down in sand when I first got it, a shovel got me out. In a perfect machine, I would have all-wheel drive, however have not had to chain-up yet this snow season. (The differential lock and articulating steering helped). I paid twenty thousand for a machine with all three manuals, (operator, technical and parts) as well as service records back to '88. The engine has 2400 hrs on it. Replacement parts may be a problem as they don't make them anymore. I've given the home owners association a introductory price of $65 /hr until they get use to the good roads, then will check my expenses and consider a change in pricing. Not planning of supporting my-self with this machine. Other things to consider are fuel economy, moving-roading expenses, tire replacement costs, gallons of hydraulic oil, (a silly little return line problem cost me seventeen gallons, and your customers might not appreciate their drive way oiled). So far, so good.... Would like to hear more 570 stories
$20K for a 1990 670B doesn't sound like a bad deal! The best thing about the B model is that it has the CAT style controls, which will help the resale value down the road. It is always good to go big (within reason ). Be sure to check the machine out really good. The last thing you want to do is to put a bunch of money into your new Motor Grader!
The first JD grader I ran was a new 1990 670B. Ran it for 8 years. Very productive machine for it's size. Technologically light years ahead of a similar age CAT machine. Will work circles around a 570. Good luck with the purchase!!!
Thanks guys. I have not had a chance to check out either machine in person yet, I am just going by what the owners have told me so far. I am probably getting ahead of myself, since I have not even set up the financing yet, and both of these machines may be gone by the time I get my act together. At this point I am just kind of doing research, trying to figure out what size machine will be the best for what I want to do, and what it is going to cost me.