Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 B CK Differential Brake Questions

okney1lz · 2010-01-07 18:22

Hello everyone! I'm a new user who stumbled across the forum a little while ago and thought I'd see if some of you guys could shed any light on a few questions I've had recently. My biggest Christmas gift this year was a 1972 580 B CK Backhoe. Long story short, it was given to me for nothing. It has the shuttle trans, Model 35 Hoe, Diff lock and only 2100 hrs on the clock. The machine has basically just sat unused for most of its life. It's rough but in decent shape in my opinion. I'm pretty familiar with the machine as I rebuilt all of the hydraulic cylinders about ten years ago for the previous owner, a long time friend of my family. I had messed around with the brakes back then and made them "semi-functional" if you could call it that. When I had disassembled them way back then, to reline the brake surfaces, I noticed that the housings (#25 on Case's website) were gouged pretty badly where the drum (#14) had chewed into them. So I replaced just the linings and reassembled, fingers crossed. Performance was lacking to say the least. Anyway, now that the machine is mine I’ve realized that brakes and stopping aren’t as highly overrated as I had once thought. Go figure! So I am about to get back into them and see if I can get them serviceable. The pedal went to the floor, so yesterday I adjusted and greased the linkage to no avail. The brakes attempt to stop after an enormous amount of pressure has been applied but feel as though you’re stepping on a brick, as though maybe the drums are never moving towards the housing. Easy fix, not the solution, check! So here are some of my actual questions: Can the housing be repaired? Welded and machined? Case wants an arm & leg for them. Can the drums be repaired? Or is all of this dealer stuff? How much wear is too much on the actual brake disc where the balls ride? Could the discs and drums be frozen to the shaft? In general how do you feel I should proceed? Which parts should I replace at a minimum? Also, I remember it being unusually tight between the right housing and the backhoe mounting frame. Are there any tricks to make that side easier? Sorry for the insanely long post! Thanks in advance for any and all input, insight, or advice anyone can offer. Lawrence

Replies2
  1. #1Phil2010-01-07 20:01

    I believe you will be able to find used brake housings out there, they are not a high demand item. However the inner housing can get cracks in it and these are harder to find. There are equipment wreckers out there that supply these parts. The earlier 430 and 530 farm tractors may use a slightly different housing. Brake drum assemblies, complete with new disc, balls, springs, and bands, can be purchased aftermarket, very reasonably, just do a search. That is the nice part about owning a Case. I believe the drum assembly and bands are the same for the the 430,530,580CK,B,C,and D tractors. Wear on the brake disc, you would have to be referring to lining wear, is measured by the amount of brake material above the rivet head. I have never seen the brake drum assembly seized on the diff shaft. I believe if the diff lock assembly is removed first(one of the capscrews is countersunk), there is room to get the rest of the brake assembly off. If just having the drum, disc, and bands relined(aftermarket kits available), I would consider replacing all springs, and take a close look at the oil seal on the inner plate(carrier bearing holder) for signs of leakage. Phil

  2. #2okney1lz2010-01-07 21:32

    Thank you! Thanks Phil! I already have the oil seals and I took your advice and did some digging around for an aftermarket parts source. I have to rebuild the Loader Frame pivot and while I'm waiting for those parts to come in I figure I'll gather everything I might need for the brakes and then disassemble. Thanks again for your input. Lawrence