Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B not staying in gear

snowman4evr ยท 2010-01-07 13:27

Hi, I have a case 580b not the shuttle shift, it has the forward/reverse lever, and the 2 speed lever. You have to hold this lever back with all your might to get it to move at all in forward and then it will still pop out trying to go in an incline position. Same thing with the 2 speed selector. Its bunged. I have tried replacing the shafts and dentent balls and springs. Any ideas? thanks ahead of time will

Replies6
  1. #1roadrunner812010-01-07 14:03

    Ive heard of this problem before, sounds like your going to have to tear down tranny and figure out what gears or shafts are worn.

  2. #2carogator2010-01-07 14:46

    Have you got yourself a manual? Look at the adjustments. If it doesn't seem to slip, then it just appears to be not getting all the way in gear.

  3. #3capnkel2010-01-07 21:14

    It sounds like your 580b is suffering the same problem my 530ck has. I've had the top cover off the transmission case,and from what i saw in mine,there are 2 bronze syncro rings ,forward/reverse sides,and hi/lo on a sliding hub inside the case.They are worn and appear to be cracked on mine,there are 3 weak areas on this part and mine are broken right there.As soon as i get a chance im planning on splitting the tractor and replacing the parts.Mine is fine in reverse,but will not stay without holding it in forward gear.Here is what the part looks like http://www.brokentractor.com/images/A51114.jpg http://www.brokentractor.com/images/A51114a.JPG

  4. #4snowman4evr2010-01-08 12:29

    Capnkel, You are right on track. It does sound like we have the same problem. I have learned from an old timer around here that he has seen this problem before and he seems to think its just the forks that need replacing. He says the tips of the forks are coated with Teflon, and this wears off and prevents it from pushing it in gear enough. After looking on the case website at these forks (I tried copying the link but it don't work) it does appear that there is something on the the end of these.

  5. #5roadrunner812010-01-08 13:59

    I would imagine that the forks are heat treated on the end, teflon I believe came along a little later but what the heck do I know I'm only 28.

  6. #6Asa Joel Spicer2023-11-01 14:51

    Did you end up finding your issue?