1996 310D Problem started with alternator light on. Turned key off/on quickly and light went out. Now, same problem, however; tachometer does not work, light for brake switch does not work and 4WD switch does not work. External lighting, fans, wiper and radio works. I have replaced the key switch, thinking it wasn't giving power to some accessory buss. No success. Anyone seen this issue before and have any sage troubleshooting advice? Many thanks!
Change your alternator, that I believe controls your tach and break switch, not sure about 4wd.
Thanks for your help. I agree for sure on the tach. Found that in the manual. I was just headed out to check the voltage from the alternator. If it is putting out 13+ volts, would you still change it? Could it still be causing problems if the output voltage is ok? Any idea what the output voltage should be?
Just checked the battery voltage. 12.1 volts. Started engine. 12.1 volts at battery with RED alternator light on. Key switch to off and quickly back to on. Red alternator light went out. Voltage at battery still 12.1 volts. I guess I should just pull off the alternator and have it overhauled, but still wondering if it could just be the alternator relay?
8 months later. Same problem as post 1. No power to charge the battery. Took alternator off, back to shop. Tested fine. Power to the alternator fine. No output to battery. I have changed the ignition switch. No luck. What other relays/whatever might be causing a functioning alternator to not charge the battery? Thanks!
Do not not have an answer. My Case 580K has the same problem. New Alt - Power to it Re-wired the whole machine last fall; all new gauges -switches - Fuse panel. No charge. Fixed a lot of other problems along the way. I can go about two days then i need to find a battery charger.
My 1992 310D stopped charging last summer. Found a broken wire right behind alternator. It was the hot wire coming from key switch that excites the alternator. Newer alternators may be self exciting.
For those of you who followed and helped on this issue, I have a resolution! I finally hired the electrical shop to come out. They spent an hour checking everything. Finally took off the alternator and went back to the shop. Remember, I had them rebuild the alternator and have since taken it off TWICE and taken it back for them to inspect to eliminate the alternator. They totally disassembled the alternator and for a small crack in one of the output terminal connections. I would like to blame this on a "low end" shop, but I know the owner and he is very knowlegable on issues electrical and very helpful in teaching about electricity. Charged me $300 Hard to fault them for missing an unusual problem, but a little high. Oh well, the joys of ownership.
Sometimes money ahead to buy a reman alternator from a dealer or parts house almost all of the soft parts are replaced and better quality control checks are done. Can't fault a guy for sending business the way of local shops though. Darned if you do and darned if you don't sometimes.