Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 B slips out of gear often

Bertrrr ยท 2016-09-28 22:15

Bought this old machine and have fixed numerous issues with it , leaks - wiring - etc. but the transmission keeps slipping out of gear and I loose motion forward and reverse as well , Have not pulled the top covers yet but was wondering if anyone else has seen this . Am told this was a cronic problem with the 580 b machines. Thanks for your help

Replies2
  1. #1Fordman2016-10-02 19:09

    Your shift fork probably isnt lined up right. When I bought my 580B, the fork had broke off and I brazed it back on. I dont think its in the proper place and now 1st slips out. if you google it, there should be other threads discussing the issue. shifter shouldnt take 30 minutes to pull.

  2. #2Bertrrr2016-10-02 21:26

    Thanks for your reply, I pulled the cover and don't see anything broken or worn , not sure if the shift fork is in the correct spot but don't know enough about it to start moving it around.