My steering has been slow to react since I bought it. It's very unresponsive, seems like it's about 4 revolutions to get the wheels to turn. I recently had a strange problem with it. I had a rock slung up from the loader, it was probably 1500#. The loader had no problems lifting it but when I went to move with it the steering wheel would not turn. As soon as I put the rock down the steering returned to its what's been normal. Can anyone narrow this down for me? Does this sound like the pump or the steering control valve?
Bypassing cylinder would be my guess... Does the steering have a stop or can you turn the wheel forever?
filter,,or low on fluid
The steering does stopp both ways and the fluid is full.
Weak pump/relief valve would be my guess if the steering wheel pretty much stops turning at either stop. Normally if the cylinder is bypassing or the steering valve is weak the wheel would keep on spinning pretty freely in my experience. Any odd noises from the pump area when you're trying to turn it?
Not normally. When the rock was slung up and I tried to turn the wheel it sounded like it was straining but didn't turn and I didn't force it. Another issue the tractor has is the steering wanders quite a bit even at first gear speeds. I'm constantly correcting to keep it straight.
I just looked at an old ford backhoe. Slave cylinder is mounted low latterly and works in the mud water snow and dirt all the time. It doesn't work is old....think I'm gonna pull it
My tractor used to wander a lot, but then I quit drinking beer...... Try pushing down with the loader, lift the front wheels off the ground and then check both front wheels by moving them right and left by hand, look for slack anywhere and what the steering cylinders do when you try to move them by applying force at the wheels. The least expensive thing to rebuild is the cylinders, I would probably start by repacking those and then move on to the next most likely suspect. Pressure check the steering pump maybe.
Ok, I'll try that and I will also change the filter in the pump.
Hi TLR15 When I was rebuilding my steering cylinders these guys help me Ron
Thanks nova. I was just reading that thread last night. Found it in a search for my problem.
I went back and reviewed the thread about repacking the steering cylinders without damaging the V cup with the oring expander. I had a expanding puller tool at the shop that I could get in behind the brass bushing, push it out on a hand press, simply slip the new V cup in and reinstall the bushing. It is a lot less aggravating and quicker than ruining multiple seals. Mel
Since it's warm out, I set the seal kit out in the sun still in the bag... Little mini greenhouse. Those tiny seals will make ya cuss.
Last week finally got a chance to go through our machine and try to fix the steering which is the original point of this post. Put a brand new steering cylinder that came with the machine on one side and one that I rebuilt on the other side. Also changed the filter in the steering reservoir and changed the fluid. Well that did it. 2 3/4 turns lock to lock as per the specs, very responsive now. I'm glad that I didn't have to tear into the the pump. Thanks for all the help with this problem guys.