I have recently got a oil leak under my tractor it is leaking hydraulic tranny fluid (shuttle trans) from around a small shaft that is spinning when the tractor is running.Oil is leaking around this shaft when running and when not running.The shaft is the only shaft partially exposed and goes between the bell housing and trans housing.There must be seals of some sort on the shaft but im having a heck of a time trying to id the shaft let alone any seals. Once i know its name then i need to figure out if i need to split the tractor to replace them. I was planning to split the tractor anyway so i can replace my shuttle disks which i think i need to do from the rear but now im not sure what i need to do about these shaft seals (remove engine) ??? i do have a service manual but i am struggling to id this shaft let alone seal replacement for it. Any help would be great thanks
What model do you have, a 580CK never had an open shaft, it was contained within the casting for the tractor. I suspect that you have a C-D-or early K all which had the Borg shuttle. If I'm correct, just simply remove the short driveshaft, pop the old seals out and tap the new ones in carefully.
Hi melben mine is a plain 580ck it is a 1970 it has been a while since i have looked at this but i must be confusing it with a tractor i had helped someone with in the past i will look at it tomorrow and refresh my memory.I will be replacing the gasket between engine and trans but i also want to change the shuttle disc forward and reverse.If i pull the engine will that also allow me to pull the shuttle or does it have to come out the rear of tractor.
I admit to being clueless on the shaft in question and I have worked on multiple dozens of them. Can you post a pic? Either standard or power, they are both accessed through a rear split.
If you ever do figure out how to get it apart, be sure to check the shaft surface where the oil seal contacts it. 45 year old stuff has a tendency to develop a groove cut by the seal lips combined with grit floating in the oil that's leaking. They sell repair tubes that are a couple of thousandths thick you drive over the shaft with a hammer and socket. Then the new seal rides on the new surface and it doesn't leak; most of the time....
no shaft