I bought a basket case 1974 580B backhoe 188 Diesel. I got it running. The steering was toast. I rebuilt everything, plus new steering cylinders and hoses. The steering valve and lines were off when I got it. I put it all together. Everything was installed according to the parts manual. I tried it nothing happened. The pump didn’t seem to be pumping, so I installed a new pump. I could tell it was pumping, but still not turning the wheels. I took the caps off the steering valve and it was rusty and stuck. I took it apart and cleaned everything. Put it back together and it was trying to work. The cylinders would move a little, but in the wrong direction and not move much. I went over all my lines and hoses. Everything is correct according to the parts book. I took the valve back apart to make sure everything was installed correct and it is. Everything moves freely. My book says to mark the end caps on the steering valve. I didn’t do this when I took it apart. Just looking at them they look identical, but they do have different part numbers. I tried swapping them but it didn’t make a difference. I haven’t done anything with the steering hand pump at the steering wheel. When I try it it will only turn a few turns and stop. I did hear a pop. This was at idle speed. Any advice is appreciated.
Mine did the same thing but it turned all the way in the opposite direction then it should. I looked and the lines from the pump where backwards, so i changed them and the steering wheel would turn and get really stiff with no movement of the wheels. I jacked the front up and wheels would turn side to side by hand freely but not with steering wheel. Does anyone no if the steering wheel position is important if it is turned and turned when there is no fluid in the hand pump? could that be why the steering was going opposite. Is there a index point in the hand pump that has to be reset?
Welcome to HEF, Kjl9050@msn ! Sorry, I don't any answers for you problem, but one question. Do you have the service manual for your 580B ? The steering and diagnostics are covered in detail in the manual. BTW, Tim hasn't hasn't logged in since last August. It is doubtful he wil read this.
Here's a steering thread that may help. HeavyEquipmentForums