We found a nice 580sl w/ only 1800 hrs. 1 owner machine. One operator machine. Extendahoe, 4wd, only draw back is it has wobble sticks. We would have to convert to 4 stick w/ foot swing. Are the controls still available. Anybody in ohio area have them?
What area of Ohio are You in.
Near springfield
I know Southeastern Equipment in Monroe (513 539 6917) has a couple of skids full of them that they have taken out of machines when they have done conversions. I would call Steve in the service dept and ask him if they have a set for your machine. I know that they are for sale. Tell him that the guy that drives the lowboy with the white tractor told you to call him.
I will call down there this morning, thanks for the advice and I will tell Steve that!
Have you tried the machine with the wobble sticks?
The machine is mostly going to be run by my dad. He is 65 now and has run 4 stick for close to 50 years. We build inground pools and he can cut the hole out like no other that I have seen. He refuses to learn now. When grading the slope he is booming up, crowding in and pulling the extenda-hoe in all at the same time and can put it right on.
Truck 505 I visited southeastern today. I was directed to the sales guy Gary. They just brought in a super l in this morning on trade. Nice machine at a decent price. We may go that route. I found 2 sets of controls though. 1 @ a salvage yard in Cambridge and 1 in Indy at a salvage yard. $200-250 exchange complete tower! Southeastern quoted $1000!!
$1000 dollars. That is expensive for just laying on those pallets taking up space. Gary is a good guy but he likes to make money. The yards in Indy and Cambridge. Are they other Southeasten dealers because they also have branches in both of those cities also. I wonder where that trade in came from. I do most of Gary's moving and I usually bring back a trade in when He sells a new one. Must have been someone who moves their own machines.
The trade was from a water dept. the yards I wAs referring to we're salvage yards, one was CSI I think. Gary seemed like a decent guy. If we go that route he agreed to deliver to Springfield. Would you be the delivery guy truck505?
There would be a good chance of it. Those machines that come from municipalities are usually well maintained. A couple years ago I did a trade out with Fairfield TWP which is just just up the road from SE. I brought back a 580D that only had like 2800 hours on it and it looked like it was still new.
We have another guy to meet w/ that has a 2000 superL w/ only 2300 hrs, 4wd extendable, cab, 3 buckets, radio. Only draw back is we have to switch out to 4 stick.
We bought the machine that needs converted
Rickw, We just picked up a 310G Deere that has the 3 stick control with the pedals that I'm looking to switch over to a 2 lever control. We are located just north of Detroit. Please send me an email if you are interested in swapping: [email protected]
I don't know if they will swap between brands However he needs a four lever with the foot swing, the additional lever operates the extend a hoe.
If you buy the Case controls be sure that you get the swing spool centering spring with the kit. It is stiffer than the wobble stick spring to return the pedals reliably. If you have to get a spring from Case be sure to specify footspring. Mel
I found a set of controls at ESI in Cambridge OH for $200 exchanged. Alot better than $1000 Southeastern quoted me for a used exchange!! I have the tower installed. Has anybody replaced the spring for the swing? If anybody has any advice let me know. I started going thru the machine yesterday, changed filters, engine oil, Planetary oils ect. It is a nice tight machine. Also ESI in Cambridge seems to be a good parts source, new and used. Chris seemed very knowledgeable on the case machines. He gave me alot of good pointers. One being to make sure lower king pin stays lubed on front axle . Said he sell quite a few axle housings do to pin wearing into housing and ruining it. Thanks for all your help
That spring is a little tricky to replace. By the book, it should be done when swapping the controls. You could try the operation of the hoe without doing it & see how it goes....... I have fabricated a small spring compressor to do the job, with the spool still fitted in the valve, minimising oil loss. There is a small circlip that holds the retaining washers in place & trying to do the job without the spring compressed is a PIA. In saying that, I work mainly on S/S machines that have quite alot of air space under the control bank, not too sure if it can be done like that on a centre mount :beatsme That is a very good price he has given you for the exchange - not very often people would be asking to part with wobble sticks - he will move them easier than the foot slew kit. Very good advice re the lower king pins - weakest part of an outstanding model hoe :yup
Conversion is done. Dad likes the smooth pedal operation. Does not look like I have to change spring. It looks like nobody remembers that there are grease fittings on the foot pedals. The set of controls I bought and the set that was on the machine both had very stiff pedals. I had to take fittings out of pedals and put oil in hole and work them ton get them loosened up the grease them. It would be easy to miss, you have to remove a plastic plug to get to fitting.