Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 sl fan belt

jdm ยท 2012-05-21 22:21

Well decided to put a new fan belt on the hoe thought I knew what I was doing being as I had changed a number of them on farm tractors with the same slip coupling. Now I need to know how much dynamite does it take to move that coupling? Splines look great no rust or grime I took the bolts out and the coupling turns free it has been soaked for a month with PB blaster what am I doing wrong?

Replies3
  1. #1alrman2012-05-22 04:03

    You have to try harder jdm. I usually use a long rod as a punch & continually tap the coupling & turn 180 deg after 3 or 4 hits. An air hammer has also been suggested, never tried it myself. I have had to remove the pump mounting bolts (x4) & move the pump with siezed coupling - more than once over the years.

  2. #2bowen2012-05-22 20:29

    The 580sl must be a booger to work on. I did find this if you have not already read it.

  3. #3jdm2012-05-22 21:42

    I used the air impact hammer on it and the oil and the pry bar none worked so I think I will wait for a pro to work on it. I really don't want to do any damage to important parts. The belt has 3 groves worn off it due to bad tensioner so I think I will change it and wait for help on the belt.