Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C Brakes – new problem

Greg in KY ยท 2012-05-21 15:09

I was using my ole C and the right brake got stuck. The pedal was rock solid and would not move at all. The farther I drove(less than 50 yards) the tighter the brake got. I got the brakes hot enough to smell and the housing was quite warm. I got under it and beat and pecked around and it may have helped it release some but the pedal had little travel and was really firm. This happened 2-3 times in about 4 hours. Finally I stomped the pedal real hard and it seemed to help but it is still not right. The pedal has little travel and is super firm. Any suggestions? Brakes are really a problem on this machine. I have had a Case dealer replace both sides in the last couple of years. Usually they just don't work. Now the right one works too good. Thanks, Greg

Replies11
  1. #1csthompson122012-05-21 20:25

    Hmmm, Its almost sounds like they may be adjusted to tightly. The pedals should not be adjusted real high like you would have in a car. If you put the toe of your boots under the pedals, it should press down far enough to touch it. If you get under the tractor and reach up on top of the brake housing, there is a nut that can be backed off until you get some travel in the pedals. The nut is on the end of the bolt that goes into the brake housing and connects the linings.

  2. #2willie592012-05-21 20:38

    Could have a sticking brake actuator cylinder as well, just gonna have to check the system out and determine where the fault is.

  3. #3alrman2012-05-22 03:58

    Could also be a broken return spring at the brake actuating lever on the transaxle.

  4. #4Greg in KY2012-05-22 08:31

    I don't believe it is simply adjustment since it was OK previously. Sounds like the problem is on the trans axle somewhere. It sure is hard to see anything up in there. How do I un-stick the actuator cyl.? Thanks, Greg

  5. #5TheOldMan2012-05-22 09:20

    I just redid the brakes on my C, and had real problems with the Parking brake hanging up. finally just discarded it. The brake system has balls that "ramp up" to apply the discs. If your parking brake is free, I'd venture to say you have a broken return spring that's not pulling the balls off the ramp. It's much easier to work on the brakes if you remove the floor board.

  6. #6Greg in KY2012-05-22 09:43

    I took a hammer and screwdriver and pushed the parking brake as far "off" as I could. Between that, pecking and stomping the pedal I was able to get it released - But the pedal still has very little travel and is super solid. I about 1/2 way think the problem started when I used the parking brake. This C has a cab and I don't see a easy way to remove the floor plate. Is there a trick?

  7. #7TheOldMan2012-05-22 13:15

    Mine doesn't have a cab, but floor removal was pretty obvious, and pretty easy.

  8. #8adolphous2012-05-23 09:50

    i've taken the floor plate out of my machine too many times lately. it's not hard, just annoying. the floor mat falls apart, and my floor plate was spot welded in place. i had to break the welds to get it out, and the bolts are almost useless, i think only one or two actually tighten... hence the welds. holds okay with a couple of bolts. i was warned not to use the parking brake on my 580K by the previous owner. he said it would stick, and be expensive and hard to unstick. that scared me so i don't use it, but that seems silly. it's a handy thing to be able to use on an incline etc... so far i've been okay on flat land, but when it's needed the parking brake would probably be pretty handy. are the brake pedals and the parking brake activating the same pads? don't think so. if your foot pedal is stuck i don't think it's related to the parking brake? alrman's wise.... listen to him. i just got a service manual for my 580K. if it offers any insight i'll report back.

  9. #9TheOldMan2012-05-23 13:50

    The parking brake and the pedal brakes on a "C" are definately one and the same.

  10. #10Greg in KY2012-05-24 12:55

    I had not used it since Sunday- Got on it last night- checked the pedal and it still had little travel and was very firm after the little travel. I seemed to be releasing. After about 1/2 hour I accidentally hit it and it was back to normal and I used it a couple hours more. I guess it healed itself. Even though I usually try it first on most problems- This is the first time I have cured any problem by cussing and stomping. I don't know how long it will last but I am OK for now. I really appreciate your all's help. I may be back Thanks, Greg

  11. #11TheOldMan2012-05-24 14:11

    When you're worried or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shot.