I have a 580 super k backhoe that I believe the torque converter is going out. When it’s cold it hardly moves and even when it’s warm, road speeds are around 17 mph, and any small incline it slows to around 11 mph. But pushing dirt in 1st gear it has no problem. Has anyone had anything similar and what was the prognosis?
If it's able to push dirt or spin the back tires when up against some solid I don't believe there's a torch problem.
It does great in low but going down the road sucks. I trailer it as much as I can just because it’s so slow. It’s had a new transmission put in it but not sure if any pumps were replaced.
The service manual gives a test procedure, but it sounds like it behaves as designed. My non turbo K moves fastest in 3rd if up any grade at all. If it is gentle uphill, 2nd. 4th is level, or downhill only. If at all low on oil, it'll slip, or if the wrong oil, it might slip more. I use HyTran only.
If that’s the case, that’s kind of disappointing. I thought it should perform better.
Mine weighs 16,800, It is powered by a 70 HP engine. Hills aren't in the math. Gear down, and the torque converter will do the rest.
It’s not a loss of power issue tho. It just seems like it’s slipping to me. I’ve had torque converter machines before and they didn’t seem this bad.
I don't know for sure. I've had two of this model close in serial number 1988 I think. One had some converter slip on very hot days working loader duty. The one I have now developed some slip one day, I noticed it was dripping oil. Topped it up, no slip. It did develop a more serious leak, so I took it to Case Dealer for replacement. In my experience 4th gear will only move acceptably on level, or downhill. I have land 3 miles from home. I drive to the land in a John Deere 410C in about half the time I can in the 580K. I've had it 14 years. It moves as well now as it ever did.
All the older machines were like that newer one have lock up converters.
I agree with all the others,it sounds normal to me, I have many years in a Case shop so am very familiar with them, The only thing I would look at is the throttle lever high speed stop screw to make sure it is going against the stop on top of the pump. It can be made much better than it is by upping the fuel delivery a bit and giving it a few more rpms, if the tach works there are ways of checking engine power by loading the TC to full throttle in high gear forward shuttle holding the brakes and reading the rpm. Im sure someone on here will pop in with the stall rpms it should hold under load
I had a alis 816 that did the same thing, with a new tourqe conveter, my case 580E is the same way. I went though the shuttles on both. It just seem th nature of the beast. Don't think the tourqe conveter is a high doller item $300-$400. and it's not a bad one to change. if you feal it is the problem. Change fluid and filter see if that helps
You don't say what year. I have a manual covering my 1988. It spells out torque converter test. I have the sense these things slip all the time, and only come close to engine speed when lightly loaded in low gear.
Have you done the tests per the manual ? It may be the "nature of the beast" but, the convertor may be failing. Has the transmission oil and filter been changed lately ? Clean the screen in the sump ? I am curious if anyone has ever retrofitted a lock-up convertor in a 580K.
I wouldn't want one. without a slipping torque converter, low would be too high & 4th would be useless. They do make a lot of heat when someone uses 4th when 3rd would be a better choice.
It is a 1991/92 I believe
I have to tear into it yet. Just thought I’d get others thoughts before I opened it up. And the oil and filters maybe have 2-300 hours on them.