Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 Super M series 2

onehandman1 ยท 2023-09-14 21:17

Hello everyone, I was using my Case 580 Super M series 2 over the weekend using the backhoe portion the dipper cylinder "let go". what i mean by this is i had the rear buck on the ground and when i picked it up to move the dipper cylinder stopped holding and the dipper portion of the hoe hit the part that attaches at the swing(collapsed in on itself). -The pilot controls have no effect on the dipper function, I do get a drag of the engine like i'm dead heading the pump in one direction(full curl) since that is the positoin the hoe is in - If i stick the teeth of the bucket in the ground and pull foward the hoe will extend and when I slowly pick the hoe up it will collapse on itself - No external leaks I haven't torn into anything yet, but I'm thinking it i something internal to the cylinder? I dont think it would be in the valve block as i dont think the cylinder would just go either way with outside weight. I hope i explained this well enough but any thoughts or questions are greatly appreciated. Paul

Replies4
  1. #1Billrog2023-09-15 11:43

    Piston has come off ?

  2. #2onehandman12023-09-15 12:52

    Billrog, That is my intial thoughts, hope to get some time set aside to look at it within a week or so. I will report back with my findings with photos as well(I always say this, but get in the middle of it and forget pictures until its complete LOL)

  3. #3onehandman12023-09-23 10:30

    Wanted to provide an update..... Let me say, I should record myself when working on this as I believe everyone would get a laugh out of it. Having the 5075E was nice to be able to pick the cylinder out of the boom. What i found: Bolt came loose and backed off allowing the piston to come unhooked.... Is this common? Inside of the cylinder isn't damaged, but will need to see if i can get the rod fixed, or just order a new one. Seem they are around 600 dollars and come with a new bolt. What I've learned: Shop air sends the rod flying out of the cylinder when you pressurize it for testing, and the piston isn't attached to the rod. It ends up in the rear bucket(this is where I wish i had it on camera). Looking back, I should have known better but it's all retrospect now. Taking pictures of progress is a PITA as my hands are always greasy/oily. Goal today: Find a piece so i can loop the lines for the cylinder so I can move the backhoe out of the barn to wash it and be able to move it around while I fix the cylinder. Have some asphalt millings coming in and being able to use the loader would be nice. Wash the cylinder up and lube it with WD 40 or some type of penetrating oil so it doesn't rust.

  4. #4onehandman12023-12-24 08:22

    Hey Guys, Finally got around to putting the cylinder back together and getting it installed. Below is me installing the cylinder back into the tractor. If you have 20 minutes to spend, hope you enjoy