Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580 Super N Hydraulic power

Jonesrl999 · 2014-08-05 14:31

I'm working on a 2012 Super N tier 2, the outriggers are too weak to lift the backhoe more than a few inches and some times they just stop moving all together.Neither the boom nor the loader lift the machine unless the power lift is selected. There are a few fault codes 1045, 3173, 1019,1021,1018 listed new to old the last fault occurred 5 hours ago, all i have is the SM maintenance book so I have no clue what they mean. I flushed the Hyd fluid, changed the filter, and the breather on the reservoir, bled all the air out but the problem is still there. The pump whines a bit but dose not sound like it's bad. Currently looking for a gauge to check pressures but any ideas would be appreciated so I can get it back in the field.

Replies5
  1. #1fpgm042014-08-06 14:51

    Jonesrl999, welcome to the forum. As the hydraulics’ experts have not chimed in, let me give you some feedback with the hope that by bumping your thread, someone with more knowledge than me on hydraulics will jump in. The bottom line is we probably need a little more information as to what your vehicle configuration. (type of backhoe controls, powerlift with loader clarification, model/engine type, etc.) However, I am going to venture a guess if you have pilot-controlled backhoe (ie not mechanical linkage controlled backhoe levers) then you have a stuck flushing valve. I believe you can put a special plug in place of the flushing valve to diagnose if that is causing the issue. The fault codes listed do not appear to be directly related to your issue. They only seem to say you probably have some dirt/debris in the fuel tank sensor and the machine has been operating in an over temperature condition. To be clear, as the hydraulics on the machine are not generally electronically controlled, there are not typically codes for hydraulic issues. Brief description of faults you listed 1045–open circuit fuel gauge (this can occur if dirt/debris is in the tank and gets into the tank sensor) 3173-engine rail pressure governor below limit for speed 1019-engine coolant above operating temperature 1021-fuel is above operating temperature 1018–boost air temperature above operating temperature There are a few of things in your problem statement that would be beneficial if you can clarify. - What type of backhoe controls do you have on the machine? (pilot/joystick controls, or mechanical linkage controls?) The hydraulic valving is different depending on vehicle configuration. - Reference to “tier 2”. My understanding is the N series is tier 3 or 4. Are you sure you have a tier 2 N series? - The statement “… nor the loader lift the machine unless the power lift is selected” Powerlift only enables with seat facing the backhoe, not loader. Are you running the loader with powerlift active and the seat facing the backhoe, or facing the loader? Hope this helps some.

  2. #2jimg9842014-08-06 15:22

    whines from pump general mean the pump is starvning fluid: filter dirty, clogged strainer in return line to pump low of fluid

  3. #3Jonesrl9992014-08-06 16:31

    fpgm04, Thank you for the reply. You are correct the machine is a 580 Super N Tier 3, I have been working on 580 SM series 2's also and confused myself. To answer your question the Backhoe has mechanical linkage controls and yes I was facing the backhoe when I used the power lift, Just using it to try and troubleshoot as I do not have a gauge to check pressures yet. When I drained the hyd fluid in the morning there was not a lot of light but it looked thin so I thought that maybe someone had used cheaper fluid and diluted the hy-trans. While I was looking at it in the afternoon I noticed that it had a distinct green color to it, i'm guessing that someone added something to the reservoir because I cant think of anything that would give red hy-trans a green coloring. It mixes with the fluid, doesn't sit on top, doesn't look milky when shaken so it's not water based. I'm going to flush the entire system, lines, cylinders, and pump with cheaper hyd fluid to try and clean it up and hope that whatever is in the system didn't destroy the pump or any of the seals and change the filter after a few hours. I'm in Vegas so i'm sure that explains the temperature faults, I think i'll flush the fuel tank also and change the filter, the 1045 fault occurred 250 times. Thank you for the help, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated I can't find anyone who has had a problem like this.

  4. #4Jonesrl9992014-09-12 12:46

    Having power problems again. I flushed the hydraulic system and cylinders until the fluid came out clean and changed the filter. The hyd pump made noise like there was air in it on and off for a few hours and the machine gradually regained power. Ran it for a few weeks fine and today (9\12\14) The operator called and said he is having power issues. the bucket curl works fine, but the boom, outriggers, and loader have so little power that they will not lift the Machine. If power lift is activated it "feels like normal power" I'm Thinking main pressure relief valve or pump? Any one have some input?

  5. #5Deeretracks2014-09-12 17:23

    Can't imagine if the pump was failing that turning the power lift on would help. Not sure how the power lift function works on those but if it is similar to an excavator I would be looking at the system relief for sure.