Hi Guys, Had a hydraulic line blow in front of the rad.It was the short one between the filter and cooler.I have replaced it and I replaced the tranny oil(I thought it was half way changed already. The fluid up to level and running my trans oil gauge shows no pressure and the tractor is not moving. Do I have to purge the air from the system or fill the convertor? thanks,Gary
Normally Gary, you would not have to purge any air, it should go. With an old B, pump may be a little tired or screen restricted with trash, affecting it's ability to work properly. Raise wheels off the ground, with engne idling - loosen a hose at the transmission filter & see if that encourages a little pumping action. - DON'T GET RUN OVER DOING THIS - RAISE WHEELS OFF THE GROUND!
Thanks Alrman, I will try your idea tomorrow.I had a feeling there was no purging but I was hoping.The funny thing is that it was working fine prior to the line blowing but it must of pulled a bunch of trash from the rest of the tranny when the fluid got low.I might try drilling the casing below the screen if I can find Phil's post on the measurements. Thanks again,Gary
Heck, I wish Phil was still hear viewing and responding to the B threads. Have no idea what has happened to him, but sure miss him.
I agree completely. My 580B would not be pulling yet without and Phil and Ronspowertrain's input in this thread here ... This is invaluable information for working on these shuttles. Dave
Yes Wille59, Phil's absence is a loss for all the 580B owners. I am sure curious what became of Phil. Lucky for us Alrman has stepped in with his expertise.
Trouble is Tinkerer, even though I have spent 30+yrs working on Case equipment, I don't get to see many 580Bs any more. The people who own them can't afford to pay for repairs by a professional. So guys like Phil, who own & have the ability to repair & understand the workings of their equipment & then share that knowledge with others is very rare indeed. A very valuable asset to this forum. I think we need to start a "Where's Phil" thread. - Someone must know what has happened to him...... With the input he has had here, I can't believe he could just stop posting. Just hoping all is OK with him.
Ya no kidding
Well alrman,I gave the old college try but no pressure.I have ordered the tap for the procedure rons power train and Phil suggested back in October of 2010.I have the measurements and I'm gonna do it.I figure its only a 3/4 inch hole in the tranny casing followed by a tap right under the suction tube 3/8 inch off the bottom were I'm drilling.What could go wrong?As for Phil I think he's in my neck of the woods as I saw a Kijiji ad in April for kingston looking for old backhoes with a picture of an old b in the ad and the name Phil in the ad.I thought I could go back to that ad but it does not exist any longer. I hope hes ok and maybe he has moved on but what he left is invaluable to guys with a b.Thanks again for your idea. When I get to this,I will post some photos.
Dangit, I did this and the only thing I can recommend is start with a small pilot hole, 1/4" or so and work up. Also do not forget to mind the depth of your drilling, the suction screen is only about 1/2" from the bottom of the casting. I wrapped my drill bits with electrical tape at the depth I thought was through and was very careful not to go further than what it took to get through. If you go through the screen I think it needs to be replaced to keep the trash out of the pump. Mine had 20psi of pressure in forward or reverse, 200psi in neutral. After the cleanup and flushing, in gear on the shuttle I now have 200psi with shuttle engaged... HTH Dave
Well Alrman, maybe you don't own a 580B like Phil, but you are most certainly in the same league that Phil is in as far as sharing your knowledge and helping us !
I tried to edit my prior post but cannot, where is the edit button? Dangit, one more point I think is important. It took no less that four oil changes and flushings to get the unit to where the trash stopped plugging the suction tube after running for a few minutes. At least that was my experience. I would drop the oil, flush the case twice with two gallons of diesel fuel each time, then refill with HyTran oil. Run the tractor until the pressure would start to drop in gear, then do it all again. After the forth time and about two cups of black, fiberous trash in the bucket, the pressure stopped dropping after running the tractor. I still need to change the oil and filter again as it is hard to get the water out. But it is running and pulling very nicely. I didn't want someone to think this was a flush once and it worked deal... HTH Dave
This forum works Hi Guys, I know Phil's experience is hard to match but as this thread has shown that the collective experience of you guys is what makes this forum work.I read other threads which might not pertain to my machine but I learn from there situation and gives me ideas.Its great. I thank you all and appreciate your experience:notworthyGary P.S I'm still waiting for my tap
Dangit, Let me know if you cannot get one. I have a couple of the size taps I used laying around, some still in the new package if you would like to borrow. 3/4" - 14 NPT is what I used... Dave
the ol' drain hole dangit... have a 73 580b myself and i'd love to sit in on this operation. i'm located just north of belleville. maybe i could bring my vidcam and we could document the whole thing for the forum. fwiw, when i talked to ron on the phone he said he'd use a 1" tap if he had to do it again. d2r
A video of this would be very helpful to others with this problem!! I agree that a 1" plug would be better, one would just have be mindful of the edge of the case. Based on the dimensions in the other post, when I was completed with mine at 3/4" the hole was close to the case wall. Looking forward to seeing that video! :thumbsup HTH Dave
dave, did you just fill the case with diesel from the top... or in through the bottom. i was thinking of using one of those drill powered pumps to spray into the drain hole on the bottom. might be better for flushing out corners & tight spaces? thoughts?
I flushed from the top fill, but I think your idea of a powered flush would work better! I flushed with plug out at first, then would replace the plug pour in a couple gallons (eight liters ) and then drop that. I did find that after refilling with oil and running the tractor around the driveway, if I dropped the oil from clean-out drain is when I got the most trash in the bucket. This was done four times before the pressure stopped dropping during operation. A couple times I used a piece of tie wire bent in an 'L' shape to sweep the trash off the bottom of the case to the hole. There was much more in there than I anticipated... I will probably use the unit some after I perform some other repairs and then change it again to see if more accumulates. If so I may be worried about clutch packs. HTH Dave
Hi Dave, I would have replied earlier but been busy.Thanks for the offer but I have just received the tap from a Wholesale tool co(good price)and am in the process of getting a plug. I did another flush and got some results(movement!!!)but I think there will be still more trash to come.Gary
Gary, Great to hear! I went to the country and spent some quality time with mine this weekend. New umbrella seals in the Injection pump, new thermostat, adjusted valve lash... Then worked her fairly hard today, running much better. Moved about 30 tons of concrete rubble from an old house site. She pushes really hard with FEL, but the hoe is slower than I am used to... But WAY better than a shovel!! Still have two cylinders blowing quite a bit of smoke, I am thinking injectors... And I having trouble with the clutch return spring. Was going to take a few pics, but got so busy I ran out of time. I hope yours gets going after a couple flushings. Dave