Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

replacing front axle U-joints on a 580K, know any short-cuts??

whatwas ยท 2011-08-10 17:36

I have to replace the U-joints in the front axle of my 1990 580K, I have a service manual but you guys usually have tips on making the job easier, safer and "while your there" suggestions. Any help is appreciated, Thanks, Doug

Replies21
  1. #1alrman2011-08-10 18:53

    Unfortunately, there is no real shortcuts here. Apart from that there is no need to split the hub from the trunion,(unless the hub seals are leaking), just pull the outer cover; pull the circlip & sun gear; then king pins & remove the trunion & hub as an assembly. The axles are often worn where the axle seals run & may need repair. If there is any movement at the king pins, new bearings/bushes might need to be fitted. The universals are quite expensive buying from Case (over here 4 unis = $1000!!) There are cheaper options from a bearing supplier - but don't go too cheap - they will click from new. I have always used the genuine seals as they are heavy duty & I am yet to find an equivelent. There is alot of work to do this job & I am uneasy about fitting non genuine & having to do it again....... You could try Joseph Industries for parts as a comparison, they are Carraro Agents.

  2. #2whatwas2011-08-10 20:56

    Thanks again alrman, looking through the manual its showing tool # cas-1842 to remove the two front wheel studs with shoulders, whats the scoop on that?

  3. #3alrman2011-08-10 21:06

    You can just lock two wheel nuts together on the stud & they should come out. Sometimes they need a little shock treatment with a hammer & even a little heat if someone has loctited them in - not very often though. Good you mentioned them - I am so used to pulling these apart I take it for granted you will see them. Have seen a couple of hub assemblies over the years, where people have tried to remove the outer cover without removing those studs - they had used heat & tried to drive a wedge in between the sealing area to prise it open. Those ones need a little more sealant on them when you put them together!

  4. #4willie592011-08-10 21:14

    Drat...ya beat me to it. :Banghead LoL

  5. #5alrman2011-08-10 21:21

    Pull ya socks up boy - or we'll delete the Super off your Moderator! :tong

  6. #6willie592011-08-10 21:30

    :lmao

  7. #7whatwas2011-08-11 16:55

    All was going good until I got to removing lower king pins..............geeeeezzzz. If I pound on the edge, I can get it to rotate a quarter turn, but she's not coming out with little pry bars like in the pictures in the manual. Is heat the only answer?

  8. #8alrman2011-08-11 17:05

    If it's turning it will come - be persistent. Try to get some penetrating oil in there. When it is turned a little, you should be able to get some downward hits on the pin. Drive screwdrivers & small chisels into the flange. Avoid heat as you will need quite alot for any real benefit. PS - yell at it a few times - makes you feel better!

  9. #9whatwas2011-08-11 18:08

    Thanks again for all the help. It scares me when I see the manual showing the guy with the clean hands using 6 inch pry bars to remove kingpins and than they warn you that removing lower kingpin bushings are "difficult" what should I expect??????????? gotta think the odd tool may end up in the nieghbors swamp!! Thanks again, Doug

  10. #10mtnview2011-08-13 00:59

    Is this pretty much the same as the 580 sl? I have a squeak when turning in 4x4 and I'm guessing it's a u-joint. The joint also has oil on it- seal time also?

  11. #11alrman2011-08-13 07:47

    Welcome mtnview! Yes much the same as an L. The noise you are hearing could very well be a uni squeaking. You can see them if you turn the wheels to full lock. If they are dry there will be some, usually brown, rusty powder coming from the caps. It goes without saying, that if you are replacing the unis - do the axle seals as well.

  12. #12whatwas2011-08-13 17:02

    Well, it's all apart..........thanks for the tips...........had to drill out one set screw and use a 4 ft bar to get a few of the wheel lugs loose.and even cut one old U-joint out .The new universals were expensive but it's going together now. I think the lower king pins were the worst part (so far) . I think I'll take the evening off and go to the stock car races!!!

  13. #13whatwas2011-08-26 18:58

    After doing this job (and wrecking a new hub seal, OUCH$$) I was wondering why you even have to get into disassembling the plannitary(sp?) If you take the hub cap off and remove the snap ring than put the hub cap back on (even finger tight) than remove the king pins, couldn't you remove the whole assembly in one peice? Do the uni's ,axle seals and put it back together in one peice, remove hub cap, put snap ring on and Bob's yer uncle....Save getting into guts of the whole thing.........just asking

  14. #14jms10582011-08-26 19:25

    test

  15. #15alrman2011-08-26 19:27

    No 'bout a doubt you whatwas! .........Post #2........

  16. #16melben2011-08-26 20:46

    I have had good sucess taking the trunions out with a good air chisel with a 1/2 inch blunt punch in it. Work from the two shallow indentations in the triunnion cap and most times they will come. Sometimes a little heat on the inner edge of the housing where the trunnions go in is necessary. The setscrews shoud be heated a bright cherry red, allowed to cool some and they will screw right out. A veteran of many seal jobs. Mel

  17. #17whatwas2011-08-28 17:48

    arlman, I guess I was using my "sped reddin" when I read that post (missed it totally) Anyway, she's all together now.

  18. #18alrman2011-08-29 05:31

    cheers whatwas :drinkup

  19. #19rikbolen2012-05-09 20:18

    im doing the same job on a 580 se. but i cant get the axel to come out of the housing. i dont have a service manual, is there a trick to this?

  20. #20alrman2012-05-10 01:00

    I'm assuming you have the king pins out & the hub/ trunnion assembly off. There is a bolt used to hold the bearings - try that - it should just pull out.

  21. #21rikbolen2012-05-10 08:02

    thanks for the help, but the diagram your showing me is not mine. its on the same page but its figure 226. i cant find a retainer bolt on that figure. please help.