580b ck serial # 8693185. Having trouble finding correct model year. Online has two diff ways of reading it. 580b was made thru 1970’s. One way says it’s 1983 and the other doesn’t make sense. Main problem is engine and hydraulics work great, but it has no push power and flat ground travel is challenging. Wide open in first gear will barely get it up slight incline. Been reading and hearing they are terrible in winter. Not the case. It’s summer and still the same. Heard if left outside in rain, it’s worse. I used to keep inside shop, but for space I had to move it out for a while. Never has had much push power since I got it 12 yrs ago. But it has gotten to where I’m scared to move it out on farm because I can’t get it back up any slope. Have seen you tube videos on changing hydraulic filter in front of radiator, and my user manual I got from case dealer shows it there. Problem is, the hydraulic filter is on rt side in front of front rops support. I see no lines connecting to the trans or rearend anywhere for hydraulics. So my book is wrong and online videos must show diff models. Floor pans and gear shifters are in the same place but I’m lost on finding pump screen, or any other filter for the trans. Trans oil is full, have not checked torque converter level yet. In the process of removing floor pans now to check it. When I first got it, it had some push power but not able to run in high gears. Usually 1-3. 4th if going down hill. Any thoughts? Thanks
According to TractorData.com your machine is 1972. Check out GRT Ranch adventures on youtube, he does several very informative videos on 580B trans. issues and rebuild. Does your machine have good reverse drive or is it sluggish in both FWD and REV?
Clutch works fine. All gears work forward and reverse. Yes, no power going in reverse either. Won’t go up incline either way, forward or reverse.
Sounds as though you may have a flow issue, check out the GTR ranch vids and do a search for Case 580b shuttle issues on the regular Googletube, there's a bunch of info available. Do the research. Read anything pertaining to your B on this site from a "Cat" named Phil about your issue, he was one of the old Case gurus.
Thanks for your help. I’ll let y’all know what I find.
Welcome to HEF, Roid ! The hydraulic filter has nothing to do with the drive train. The shuttle oil filter is in front of the radiator.
Yes I know. My tractor doesn’t have the filter in front of the radiator is what I’m confused about. The hydraulic pump is connected to motor below the radiator, but there is not a filter housing there like the videos or my user manual shows. Unless it is below the pump behind the heavy guard on the front? I’m mechanically inclined but I can’t fix what I can’t find. I’ll remove the yellow guard below the pump and see. 99% sure all that’s there is the bottom of pump. And dirt. Pretty sure when I got it yrs ago I cleaned behind there and there’s no filter housing. I’ll check it out again. Thanks
I’ll send some pics this week since hay season is over and I’ll have a spare minute.
The cooler (should be) is in the lower radiator tank. Trace the lines from the shuttle and see where they go. It wouldn't surprise me if some dummy replaced the radiator and put one in with no cooler. Maybe even threw away the filter housing.
I’m thinking it might have been modified. I’m going to dig into it. Definitely no filter there. Thanks
Pics added. Filter housing is not there. All lines go to pump or into side frame reservoirs, and back to control valve under joystick for front bucket, and then back to backhoe, which work fine. I know it’s the hydraulic loop and not trans but so far no lines go to shuttle. Just hydraulics and power steering valve.
If the filter and the cooler are missing it is no wonder you have problems. The image shows what should be there. It would be interesting to see what was done to eliminate the cooler line(s) where they attach to the (A38434) valve on the shuttle. I hope they didn't plug the outlets on the valve. That would be a big problem. I am including an image of the valve with the two outlets on it.
Thanks. I’ll look it over and get back to ya. Nothing like that on the tractor other than the pics I posted of hydraulic valve. Everything in front of radiator is looped together.
Where was that valve supposed to be located on the tractor? It’s starting to make more sense now. When it was traveling, it would do ok going down hill and back up slowly, but if I made more than one trip, it would get weaker when climbing a grade, which means it was getting hotter the longer I ran it. It doesn’t show the valve in the user manual. I added TCH fluid to the torque tube last night. It was about 2 quarts low. If I drain the torque tube, is that the 7/8” plug straight down from the gearshift? And if I drain trans, is that the 3/4” bolt coming out the side on bottom?
It is on top of the shuttle. The two control rods go to it. Look in the parts book for the drain plug locations. Plugs Here
From what I see, this is a mechanical shuttle. Does this make a difference on whether or not I need a cooler or filter? The valve assembly is no where to be found. No place for hoses to go.
That all looks nearly identical to my 480ck with all mechanical shuttle and dual range in the torque tube, and a 4sp in the transmission. So for me, when I release the clutch with the transmission in gear, it's a fully mechanical link from the crankshaft to the ground. The only place that negotiates that connection between the engine and the transmission is the clutch. I have to be at a complete stop to change gears. Wouldn't the symptoms you shared here indicate an issue with the clutch? Anything else and you'd be hearing the sound of shredded gears?
That’s what I was afraid of and confused , as all the videos I’ve seen talked about the filter or pump screen was clogged causing it not to have push power. Clutch grabs when pushing and releasing peddle and there is no grinding of gears so I was following the the info towards flow issue. Then I realized there was no pump or valve going to the torque tube. Can trans and clutch be removed without breaking tractor in half?
I've only had my backhoe about 2 months now, but from everything I've read, you will have to split the tractor to work on the clutch. I'm sure the old timers here can provide much more specific details. Here is a video of someone working on a 530ck clutch with the tractor split:
Thanks to all. Especially Stinky64 and Tinkerer. Looks like I’ve got work to do. Sorry I did not know the hydraulics were so much diff on mechanical shuttle vs power shuttle. My manual doesn’t give the diff between them. I knew I didn’t have the filters and lines that you all were talking about. I thought it was more of an electrical thing on power shuttle. I’m going to give it a try since adding fluid to torque tube and see if any better. Gears don’t grind when using clutch so I was thinking it was a diff issue. If not I guess I will tear apart. Will give update. Thanks again
Roid, don't have any experience with a B, but as far as TractorData is concerned that 1972 580B CK comes with 8 speed syncro shuttle or 4 speed power shuttle don't know if a conventional clutch was an option. I think the B was like it's predecessor the original CK and had a pick-up tube screen issue that has been discussed in extensive detail in these forums. Do more research before you split your machine. EDIT.. Just went to the GRT ranch videos and apparently you are missing the control valve that tinkerer posted a picture of that should live where that flat plate is in your picture? Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.
I’m looking hard for info but most info is on power shuttle. I’m certain it is a mechanical shuttle. Case industrials parts diagrams show exactly what I have on the mechanical shuttle view. Plate, bolts, linkage is all the same. If I get trans serial number, that should tell me exactly what it is correct?
Here is a link to the service manual for the 580b CK in pdf if you don't already have it. It shows a mechanical shuttle, a power shuttle, and even a hydrostatic shuttle. 335169701-Case-580CK-Model-B-Service-Manual.pdf Shared with Dropbox www.dropbox.com
Thanks I have a user manual but I know now it shows power shuttle since it says to change filter. I can definitely use a service manual.
I went with farmmanualsfast.com, they have great email support and they helped me find all the manuals for my machine. It's a bit cheaper and more convenient for me to have them in pdf vs the hardcopy. These older machines were built on ag tractors, and there are separate manuals for the loader and the backhoe. The parts manuals for all three have been really helpful in figuring out what I have. And I've ordered dozens of parts from Dale at ebackhoeparts.com at very responsible prices. Almost every part in stock for a 55 year old machine, I'm really thankful!
A36155 Case is the serial number on the transmission. And after going thru diagrams I am positive it is a mechanical shuttle. Thanks for info.
That’s the gear shift cover number. Will dig some more to find trans serial number.
Interesting thread. ebackhoeparts.com does not work for me.
Whoops, it's e-backhoeparts.com. You have to call Dale to place an order. He is a human encyclopedia of Case part numbers. In one example, I was looking for new swing tower bushings, could only find them online for $100 each and I needed 4. Dale knew of an alternative part number that was only $18.
Thanks. I’m going to do some testing in the next couple of days. I’ll let you all know what happens