Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any advice on hammering out pins?

emmett518 ยท 2021-05-01 10:34

When the tire guy comes out to remove the impact wrench installed lugs on my tires, I plan on having him install the wheel spacers at the same time. I can move front tires and rims, but I think the backs are too heavy. Since the wheels will be off, I'd like to drive out the outrigger pins, clean them up, and grease them. How do I get them out? I don't want to damage or peen them over by hitting them with steel, and I think wood would splinter. Or is there a tool to press them out? Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1Bls repair2021-05-01 11:13

    I hate to rain on your parade but ALOT of the time removing these pins turns out to be a major project. You may not have time to do it in the time it takes the tire guy to do his thing. I would use one of these

  2. #2Tinkerer2021-05-01 12:07

    Stabilizer mounting pins and most all pins can definitely be a bit** to get back in after removing them. There is no need to drive the pin all the way out. IMHO ! Drive the pin out just past the grease hole in the bushing. Clean the pin and and drive the pin the other way just past the grease hole. I have an assortment of old pins that I ground a short blunt point on one end of them. I use my cutting torch to make the profile and a grinder to finish it up nice and smooth. I drive them in to aid in alignment of the two parts. Then I drive it through and out with the pin that is gonna stay there.