got a 580B that won't turn over. was told possibly a transmission valve stuck open/closed keeping torque converter hung up. sounds like bologna and i don't mean oscar meyer. any thoughts? Also, I haven't seen the machine in person, considering purchasing it actually, and all I know is the grandson of the elderly owner says it has a hydraulic transmission. My only experience with a 580B was with a manual 4spd trans but a hydraulic torque converter that allowed shuttling forward and reverse just like on the 580K I've run for work. I know there are a couple different transmission options in this old gals...what are they? how can i tell what it's got? any buying advice? i've done fair amount of reading/trolling/searching and also some lame replying to get my post count high enough to post this. Thanks in advance for your help and thanks in arrears for all the info already on this great site.
Here's one to get you started, use googley to search HEF and you'll find plenty of discussion of hydrostatic vs shuttle and Rockford vs Twin Disc shuttles. Apparently avoid the hydrostatic, and the Rockford is better than Twin Disc, but read the threads yourself and draw your own conclusions. Sounds like bologna to me to. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the grandson didn't know the difference between a hydraulic shuttle/torque converter and a hydrostatic transmission.