I have some down time so I'm going to fix the brakes, differential lock, and foot throttle. I do have the Case factory service and parts manuals. I've read a few posts on here about the 580C brakes, but didn't find any start-to-finish threads posted. All I got done today was to pull the floor plate so I could see what this thing is made of. Broke a few bolts here and there- most of them went onto the nut clips that get replaced anyway. This is the first time working on something like this so any help/feedback will be appreciated. (like don't take the 2 center bolts out of the seat post mount or you will get a little surprise when the 3' long spring comes out!)
Look for any leaks. Check the master cylinder to see if it doesn't have a lot of rust in it. 580C uses 3 DOT fluid only. If you ever changed brakes in a car, there is not much difference.
I took the right side apart (the side that is not working) and wow what a mess! The diff lock actuating shaft is seized in the cover bushing, the throw-out lever is broken, and the collar is missing. The brakes are covered in axle lube. It’s hard to tell what’s leaking. It looks like I can remove screw #30 and pull off the bearing carrier (#24) to get at seal #28. If seal #20 is leaking, it looks like the whole transaxle has to come apart? The "help" --->
Your shop looks like mine with the help lol. I have never worked on one of those hoes but have done the same things you are to a 930 farm tractor. Luckily the jackshaft seals weren't leaking but the brakes were toast. The ball bearings that push the brake discs apart were so rusted and pitted there wasn't a smooth spot on em and the plates with the little rams for the balls were so worn that with new balls an brake discs it still wouldn't stop. The whole system was not a very good design in my opinion Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
I had the same trouble with a 580C I forget the year. The #20 seal is prone to leak especially if you have gone swimming with the machine and contaminated the axle fluid, I had the same thoughts as you with regards to the seal.... however I read in a few different places... maybe even on this forum that it is possible to remove and install the seal without splitting the rearend now mind you I never got to finish the repair on the 580 so I did not actually do this myself but if I remember right you need to make some sort of hook tool to get in there and pull the old seal out and then make a deep installer tool to put the new on in... sounds simple... not sure in real life but I do remember more than one person talking about successfully doing this. The only problem I can see with this procedure is if the bushing #19 is worn too much the new seal will not last long.
I read it here about changing that seal. Just use the search.
1466IH- yeah later that evening I asked the kids what they were doing in the garage. They said “Fixing the Tractor”. I asked what were you fixing? The girl said “Well, Zachary took some bolts out, but it’s OK because he put them back in” (Ohhh boy !) I got the bearing carrier off to change the big seal. Ronsii & Fishfighter- I spent some time searching and found a couple of posts about making the hook tool to pull the small seal out of the side gear and also the possibility of installing a 2nd seal on top of the old one. I may pull the old and put in 2 new, I’ll wait to get new parts to make the puller tool and think on that for now. Also found someone posted about temporally pushing a 3/8 rod through the bottom of the drivers seat base to keep the spring straight and allow the base to be put back together. –that worked sweet, I know better than to take those 2 nuts off again! The diff lock came apart with some persuasion. Hopefully I can find a used throw-out lever, fingers, and collar (or maybe the whole housing with all its parts). Any ideas why the diff lock internals are missing? I see old pipe wrench marks on the actuating shaft. I was thinking one possibility is the shaft seized in the cover and someone removed the cover and broke the lever trying to free it up? The splines on the side gear and cross shaft look OK, anything else I should be considering before replacing the missing/broken parts? Thanks
When I went in to rebuild my brakes, someone removed all the diff locking parts. Even the shaft that goes across the trans axle.
Although differential locks are very nice to have when a machine is being used in wet conditions and stuck in mud they can be very hard on a differential. The reason being is that it is quite common for the lock to be in the on position when operating in dry conditions and while turning the machine. That will shorten the life of the differential gears. That may be why you are finding all those parts missing. I have seen machines that had the gears completely destroyed from the lock accidentally being on. I worked for a contractor that would have the mechanics weld the floor pedal in the up position on every machine they had as soon as it was purchased.
After doing some forum searching, I got the right side back together except for the diff lock. To get the small seal out, I ground down a right angle seal pick so there was just a little nub left, pushed it past the seal, rotated ¼ turn and pulled out using side cutters around the pick and against the end of the shaft. To put the new one back in I found an exhaust pipe adapter at the auto parts store that fit the seal (and around the shaft) just right- 1 ½ I.D. Before I took the old one out I fit my installer and marked the depth so I could put the new one in to the same. I bought a used diff lock and am confused about the orientation of the lever. The manual shows the lever pointing toward the transaxle. It seems that would mean that the control in the cab floor would need to be lifted up to engage the lock- pushing the fork and collar into the transaxle to lock both shafts together. The Operators manual shows to step down on the control to engage the lock (seemingly to require the lever to be pointing outboard of the transaxle). Would someone who knows or has a 580C with a working diff lock clear this up for me? Thanks