Well she is all done and I couldn't be happier. She looks like a new machine. I bought new decals (which worked awesome) from Quipcal and very affordable paint from Van Sickle Paint (industrial yellow). Total cost to refurbish it was under $500 (paint, decals, airless sprayer,seat, fluids, sanding supplies, etc). The amount of labor took about 3 weeks, off and on. No more big projects like this one for a while. Cory Loomis, Ca
nice machine
It looks like a toy in the last picture lol. Very nice
It looks very good. That's super cheap to pain that thing. I thought it'd be more.
Nice job. Not painting the hoses shows you have to much time on your hands.
I wanted a few of the hoses to stay black to give a contrast so it all didnt look yellow. I painted 6 or 8 of them black and it made a huge difference in appearance. Anybody know what the little yellow air canister thing is that sits on top of the hood just in front of the gas cap? It had a decal that said Turbo on it, yet no turbo can be seen on the engine? A tractor guy who stopped by thought it was a turbo air cleaner etc. Cory
Yeah that's the air filter.
i don't think it's "the" air filter....i think that unit there is mounted to the top of the air intake tube above the filter, has like a windmill inside of it that's spun by the air being drawn into the cylinders by the pistons. as it spins, in theory....and i think they work, they knock out the larger particulates that are getting sucked into the system and extend the life of your air filters.
That sounds about right. There are two slits in the sides where air can penetrate. Don't know why there is a turbo decal on it however? Just wondering, what would this tractor go for around the different parts of the country? Im guessing in Calif. about $8-9K.
Yeah that sounds more like it. As I think about what I said, it doesn't sound right. :Banghead Your explanation is much better. For those that aren't sure what we are talking about, here's a close up of one.
Surface prep? What did you do to the original paint, strip or paint over....A body shop here suggested to me that the original paint was adheared well, just fine sand over it, paint over. What did you use over a rusty area after sanding? Looks great! Thanks Ross
great job
Hey Turco I didn't do a whole lot of sanding. The only sanding I did was where it was rusting or flaking. I'd say 70 percent of the tractor was fine in regards to paint. I sanded most of the areas down to metal and then primed them gray. The paint that was not rusted, was very faded however. The toughest part was cleaning it. Getting 20+ years of grease, fluid and dirt off was a nightmare. The paint I got did a great job going over the original paint as well as the primer. I could easily have gotten away with one coat, but since I had extra I put two coats on most areas.
looks good
I wish my 480C looked as nice!
If I can get my JCB looking that good , Ill be a proud pappa !!!! Great job !!!!
looks tidy.what year is it.looked like a nice straight digger to start off with.
Hey blue, she is a 1974 model. Well, I put her up for sale for $8500 and sold her for $8000 in 3 hours. Not bad. I will miss her. Im gonna look for a mid size hoe now, possibly a Kubota. Or who knows, maybe another project.
The new paint sure makes it sell fast too. I bought my "88" JD 310c backhoe that was just repainted from someone that buys, paints and sells for a living. It don't take long to make it look all used up and with grease all over it ... Lately I'm working on trying to keep my new paint looking nice, but it's been hard because I don't have a garage to keep it in and being it's in the rain all the time I'm getting them dark drip marks streaking all the way down the yellow color giving it that black streak which is hard to keep off the new paint. Having an open cab had to make that huge painting job a lot easier... my closed cab was not fun at all to paint, I had to take out the seat that had to weigh 80 lbs, it was the only way to replace the hyd lines and paint the inside.... I guess the guy who sold it to me don't have a problem selling them units like that with out painting inside the cabs. When i bought my hoe the inside of the cab looked crappy with out new paint and the out side looking great, so I went to Home Depot with the lid to the axle filler cap and matched the underside of the lid color to their color chart and found a near perfect color match, so I had some house paint mixed up because the yellow Rustolium Metal paint stock color did not match, and for some reason I was not able to get them to mix up the color I wanted in the Rustolium, even tho I seen on the internet I can get custom Rustolium metal color paint... So I used the "rusted surface primer" for metal, then painted the inside of the cab with the Home Depot custom color paint and the job came out pretty good, but it did take a week or two before the paint harden up just great. Then 4 weeks of cure time I stuck down some of that anti-slip sand paper in the key areas and it looks perfect the way JD did it new.
I really dont like painted hoses much! but it is a pain to cover them up! good job