A new member started a private conversation with me about his 580B steering problem. I have very little knowledge about them, so I am starting a new thread on his behalf. I quoted his message and posted it below. "I would like to say thanks to every one. I have a 580B backhoe. I have a problem with the steering. I tried to turn the steering wheel but it will not turn. I am not sure if the hand pump is no good or the power steering. Can anyone tell me how I can."
Has it been sitting or is this a new problem?
Check the power steering reservoir on right side of engine below alt. You can lift the front wheels off the ground with loader bucket to see if it steers then. If it will not steer or is hard to steer then the pump is the most likely the problem.
Not familiar with case . You can disconnect the steering system apart in sections and then check individual sections, steering column,orbital valve,pistons,king pins ,steering knuckle
Remove the filter that is located in the oil reservoir and see if there is any metal in it.
He pm'd me that the steering wheel just spins and spins .
sounds like the pump is shot. try what Coy said, lift the wheels using the bucket. if the reservoir is full but the wheels don't turn or barely move, i'd guess pump is gone. or plugged.
This is the weirdest thread..... @Tinkerer If the steering wheel is turning & the wheels are not moving, the problem is one of the cylinders has a piston seal gone - so reseal them both.
It sure is Alrman ! I have had several members pm me for help before instead of starting a public thread. But I cannot help Stephen with his steering problem because I never worked on one.
I have lift the tires off the ground and try moving the steering wheel and the tires moving from left to right
Sounds like air in the lines if it just spins and spins and nothing happens. Might be seals like airman said or I've seen wear spot on steering cyl(s) from tire rubbing. If it's got the wheels up, I'd make sure there is fluid in the reservoir, start the motor, and turn the steering wheel left and then right. It should bleed itself out if the pump works and the screen in the pump isn't clogged. I'm not sure if you can strong arm the flow of fluid by just grabbing the tire and trying to move it left and right. It's hard to determine what the actual problem is. Is this something that has been sitting for a long time - like these old machines often do - or did it just start happening?
Stephen, if the wheels are turning when raised up in the air, & when on the ground, the steering wheel is turning & the wheels are not, then you indeed need to inspect & reseal the steering cylinders.
I have the wheels off the ground and I turn the steering wheel left the right several times the fluid is full in the power steering but when I put it on the ground I cannot move the tires only a little bit what could be the problem. I also race engine RPMs and still the steering wheel turns around and the tires and still at tires Only move a little left to right
What is this filter you are talking about is it in the power steering or where I'm confused
When the wheels are off the ground I can turn the steering wheel left and right and it will turn left and right but when I put it on the ground I cannot turn it and the steering wheel we'll go round and round and round I do not know what to do I need help
I believe the filter is inside the pump housing.
When I have the wheels off the ground I could turn the steering wheel and a tires will go left to right but when I put the tires on the ground when I try to turn the steering wheel the tires will turn just a little that's it and when I turn the steering wheel I keep turning and turning the steering wheel and the wheels are not turning what could be the problem is it the filter in the steering pump or is it in the hand pump
Have you checked all the linkage from the steering wheel to the orbit valve. Sounds like something came apart there or the pump is weak.
I think the guy before me had the steering wheel off and probably have the same problem because I picked it up and Driver of the flatbed said to me something wrong with the steering you had a hard time making it go straight I do not know if the power steering pump no good or the hand pump is no good
I hate to sound predictable but you need a service manual and a parts manual also for the breakdowns. You can't own one of these old dinosaurs without them unless you're rich and take it to the dealership. You can bet they have them there. You might be able to download one for cheap money or maybe even free.
Alrman is a professional Case mechanic and you need to take his advice. Remove both steering hydraulic cylinders and have them resealed. The filter(# 9) is in the pump. You can find the parts numbers here ----> https://partstore.casece.com/us/par...2b2379&sl=EN¤cy=#epc::mr5656619ar720315
I have a service manual but I do not know what the problem is between the power steering pump and the hand pump
The seals probably are gone - the fluid had to go somewhere - but if that's the only problem, shouldn't they be leaking now if the pump was working and the filter isn't clogged? I'd crack open some lines and find out where or if there is any fluid being pumped. Might as well start at the steering cylinders if they are going to get pulled apart for new seals. If the fluid isn't making it to the cylinders with the lines off or loose, I'd start at the pump and work my way through. If that's a new to you machine, you should change the filters and fluids. Start with the power steering pump filter.
I took the lines off by the cylinders and the fluid was coming out just a little in both cylinders
I'd start with the filter in the pump.
Okay I'll start with that how hard is it take the pump off the engine?
Was the engine running & were you turning the steering wheel when you did this? Oil (under pressure) should only go to the cylinders while you are turning the steering wheel. NB - you will drain the power steering reservoir in about 2 seconds doing this test & possibly damage your pump.
No I did not have the tractor running when I did that. I purged the lines when the tractor was not running and some fluid came out
from the service manual.
Again, from the service manual. Take special notice about leaking piston seals.
My service manual does not have those pages thank you very much
Also where can I get that information about the troubleshooting for my backhoe 580b because it is not in my service manual please let me know and thank you very much
Where did you get the service manual that doesn't show the troubleshooting instructions I posted ?Click on the link I am posting for you Stephen. Download it and then open it with a .pdf viewer. Where did you get the service manual that doesn't show the troubleshooting instructions I posted ? "Also where can I get that information about the troubleshooting for my backhoe 580b because it is not in my service manual please let me know and thank you very much" You are Welcome !
In section 42 I was missing close to 30 pages that was not in my service manual. I received my service manual with the guy I bought the backhoe from
That’s always helpful
Thank you very much
Have you had any luck with steering problem?
I ordered a new power steering pump and I'm waiting to get it in
Be sure and fill steering pump with oil and turn it to break it in before you install it. Case has or had an issue with new pumps burning up if not broke in first.
When you say break it in is that before I install a power steering pump or when the power steering pump is in?
Before you install the pump get a pair of channel locks and turn the pump in the correct direction.
Okay I will do that in the meantime thank you all will you help
I am going to try the new power steering pump first then if I have to I'll tackle the hand pump
Please post back and let us know if you have it fixed. Way toooo many times we never read the outcome of a repair.
I will do so reply thank you again very much everyone.
I like the reform everyone that helped me trying to fix my 580 B backhoe the problem was the old power steering pump was no good where the gears hook to the shaft only the gear return and not the shaft all the time I really appreciate everyone for helping me thank you
Thanks for the update. I had been wondering recently if the new pump solved your problem. Good luck with your new toy.
Thank you again to everybody that help me.
Changing the oil and filter for the power steering is an easy and inexpensive job. I had done mine then after about 30 hours I had a hard time turning the wheel. First thing I did was check the oil level, it was low. Come to find out, one of the steering cylinders was weeping, not even enough to notice, but enough to slowly drain the oil reservoir. Filled her back up and I was good to go. Will just have to rebuild the cylinders at some point.