So I took apart my 580 B for an oil leak, but found significant damage to the rear end. I rebuild a manual transmission a couple years ago, but how daunting would it be? i’ve had this tractor 15 years and it’s a little sentimental to me. Is there any option for a rebuilt transaxle?
You are going to pay much more for a rebuilt transaxle than that machine could ever be worth, sentimental or not. It’s not that hard of a job to do, just looks daunting. Setting lash can be tricky but definitely doable. Biggest issue is maybe needing a press. I would take the whole rear end out to do it and take pictures of everything and set up a parts table and cover it with a white sheet. Before starting, I would try and come up an estimate for parts, so as to not spend more than the machine is worth. Another option may be a salvage unit as I am sure there are boat loads of them around. Problem is finding them. Just recently, someone was parting a B out on FB marketplace.
Hey Fordman the rebuilding of the transaxle on your 580B can be a daunting task. But it can be done with some care and fairly deep pockets. There are probably some rebuilt transaxles out there but like Harley said they will quite expensive. That being said there are some good used ones out there as well. You can give Schaefer Enterprises or Hagan Tractor Parts a call and see what they might have.