Hello, new here, ran into starting trouble with my old 580B today. Machine ran flawlessly yesterday. Went to start it today and will not even click when start button is pushed. Battery is new. Does anyone know if it is common for the switch to go out or how I would trouble shoot this? When the battery was bad, I at least got a clicking sound when trying to start and now nothing. Any help would greatly be appreciated, thank you!
Broken wire. Do you have a test light? Are you getting power to the switch? Bad switch. Are you getting power to the solenoid? Bad solenoid.
Yes I have test light, in process of checking connections. Have power at starter from battery, need another set of hands to check solenoid, might just try to jump it. Switch is still a concern, hoping that is all it is, however still working on getting to it. Previous owner did not care for his stuff much.
Please make sure it's in neutral if you try jumping the starter at the solenoid. Might seem obvious, but even us old hands forget sometimes if we're in a hurry.
Thanks for all the help, after taking the covers off, found a broken wire from the starter. It is amazing that it comes down to such an easy fix, considering the time it took to find. Again I appreciate the quick responses.
Glad it was an easy fix I feel your pain
No crank is about the easiest thang to diagnose. When you fix it, it'll crank. The electrical numbnuts will be amazed.