Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

May have NH LB115 on the way!!

Duke ยท 2009-04-15 21:42

Hopefully my search has ended and I've found my machine. I found a 2000 New Holland LB115 4WD/4WS, cab/air/airseat, e-hoe, 4 in 1 bucket, rear aux hydraulics. Also comes with ~75% tires, 18", 24", 30" 36" & 48" B/H buckets. 5700 hours, but in better condition than most 2 yr old backhoes I've seen. Looks to be in excellent condition-no rust, damage, etc.. Now comes the "fun" part. Shipping it across the country. Hopefully it makes it to me undamaged and in as good of condition as it is now. Sent the seller a deposit today. Seems like an honest guy that takes great care of his equipment. Shipping through U-Ship. Getting bids now. Most are "brokers" who want to sub my shipping to another shipper-kinda uneasy about that, but they say the subs can be counted on.

Replies56
  1. #1eRay2009-04-16 13:36

    Most of the operators on this site do not seem to be very fond of New Holland. I bought a 2005 model LB75.B about two years ago due to finding a good deal on one like you did. I also had to locate a trucking company to move it, although it was only 135 miles for me. $600 for moving it. I have used it for two years now and only thing I have had to replace is the starting batteries. I absolutely love this machine, It has breakout force to remove the most stubborn stump. Only thing I dislike about it is the fact that it is a little hard to start on real cold days.Since I use it as a personal machine and not a business, I usally stay in the house on real cold days anyhow.Hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

  2. #2Duke2009-04-16 13:50

    I know what you mean. Mostly CAT, CASE, Deere guys here. The problem is, I don't see the features available for the price on those 3 brands that NH, Terex, JCB & Komatsu offer. I'm sure the reason is brand name recognition, dealer networks and probably some degree of quality. I'm not a FULL TIME excavator. I'm a construction company owner. I don't need a backhoe everyday of the week. If I have to sacrafice some reliability and dealer network for features and low purchase cost, it will be a tradeoff worth risking. I'm sure i'll be saying that when the machine breaks down, too.......... :Banghead

  3. #3Mackcat2009-04-16 14:34

    Does yours not have the grid heater? when you turn the key on in real cold weather you should see a yellow light right above the key, when the light goes out it should crank right up

  4. #4eRay2009-04-16 22:54

    I don't think it has a grid heater. I have studied the owners manual and looked for the light to come on with no success. You would think it would have as it has what New Holland calls the cold weather starting package ( Two small cranking batteries instead of one large one).I had to replace them this winter. It has the battery hold down slots for one cranking battery also but requires changing the battery cables so I stuck with the two battery system.

  5. #5AtlasRob2009-04-17 08:11

    Sounds to me as if you have the right attitude, the very best of luck with your new purchase, I hope it arrives safely and is all you hope it will be. :drinkup

  6. #6Duke2009-04-17 20:42

    AtlasRob, If the sale goes through and it makes the long trip to me unscathed!

  7. #7Mackcat2009-04-17 22:29

    You can buy a kit from New Holland I think for around $325.00. very easy to install.Definately makes a big difference cranking in cold weather.

  8. #8Iron Horse2009-04-18 00:43

    I sold mine a couple of years ago , i liked it as it was a cool bit of gear , but a 3.5 tonne excavator and skid steer combo makes them look awkward and slow . The big front wheels makes it really hard to see the bucket , forget being able to see where the forks are . And the sideshift on the hoe was manual and was a real pain as it had to be pushed across with the boom . No good in tight confines if you needed to shift the hoe and you did'nt have room to bring the boom around .

  9. #9eRay2009-04-18 11:47

    I may try that before next winter. One day I may actually need the machine on a cold day.

  10. #10Duke2009-04-18 12:02

    The one I've (almost) bought is a fixed hoe, no sideshift. Didn't realize the front bucket was difficult to see, but it makes sense. :Banghead

  11. #11Iron Horse2009-04-21 05:14

    Hey Duke , did you settle on the backhoe ?

  12. #12Duke2009-04-21 11:20

    Thursday is the "magical" day. :usa Should take another week to ship.:beatsme

  13. #13cgraham12009-04-21 13:09

    I saw this tractor on craigslist, and it looks like a very nice machine. :thumbsup

  14. #14Duke2009-04-21 13:48

    That's good to know! I thought it was incredibly clean & well maintained.I guess you want that on a high hour machine. Just got it inspected by NH mechanic yesterday afternoon. He said everything looks clean & runs fine. Only negatives were the Voltmeter bar graph gauge reads "0", but he put a voltmeter on the machine and the alternator & volts check out fine. The backhoe valve is beginning to "seep" a little fluid. Their opinion was not enough to worry about. Said it would cost $800 to remove, install new seals & replace, but there was no reason to do it now.

  15. #15AtlasRob2009-04-21 17:05

    At least you arent going to get any nasty suprises. Good luck :drinkup

  16. #16Bearmtnmartin2009-04-24 01:10

    I have an LB110. I guess that would be the same as yours without the big front tires and 4 wheel steer. I actually really like my machine, but I think it was a bit of a lemon when it was new. The first year I has a lot of issues, but the next 3 and a half were really good. I'm actually dealing on a new 110. When you compare the cab comfort and the great power, the other brands don't stack up that well. They must be selling a lot more of them now, because the price has gone way way up....

  17. #17Duke2009-04-24 07:43

    Yeah, an LB 110 is their biggest "traditional" backhoe and is quite the beast, indeed. I think this machine gave the owner a bit of trouble in the beginning, too. Since the first couple years, it's been pretty good. I'm gonna wish for all the luck I can get to keep this one from nickle & diming me to death.

  18. #18stumpjumper832009-04-29 19:42

    So I was at a Messick's e-town location talking about backhoes and the salesman sent me out to the dirt pile in a b115. All I can say is I hope you like you machine as much as I enjoyed the test drive on that one. That backhoe is an animal. Tractor wasn't much more than at idle and its was dragging itself backwards when I hooked a rock, good power in the swing, and excelent range of swing. The front load was just as impressive, nice fast cycle times, I think it had return to dig. Had no problem filling the bucket quickly. Because of the equal sized tires, they really bit in instead of spinning. The machine acted more like a like sized wheel loader than it did a backhoe. One negative mark, you really can't see much of the bucket, but I think thats something that you could get used to. They wanted 50k for an 06' machine with not quite 600 hours on it, I want it bad, but the buget isn't ready yet. But when it is I know what machine I'm gettin, provided I can find a simular priced unit.

  19. #19Duke2009-04-29 21:03

    Let me tell you this, if I really like this one, I'd be happy to sell it to you and buy the messicks machine as long as it has 4/1 bucket, cab & ex hoe and a fair price.

  20. #20stumpjumper832009-04-29 22:03

    See it for yourself.... http://www.messicks.com/used/4257.aspx sorry no 4n1 though they say that there is a take off around that might fit it. Suposedly the owner bought 2 of them, and had to sell one due to slow business, half price for 600 hrs isnt bad. That machine made a deere 310 sg look like a sandbox special, way more hydraulic power, and handles a full bucket of dirt very well.

  21. #21Duke2009-04-30 21:47

    I just ran it for the first time today. Makes my CASE 580 look like a toy. The 4WS is the real gem. It's probably 50% bigger than my 580, but more manueverable. I can't believe how advanced the cab is at 10 years old compared to other backhoes. It has a lot of nice features for its' age. Doing a little rainwater retention system, so it gives me a little practice before the "big stuff". So far so good!

  22. #22capt_met2009-04-30 22:12

    congratulations on the new hoe. be careful loading it on the trailer and coming off. with the 4ws both ends move, it takes some getting used to.

  23. #23MB@mp2182009-04-30 22:24

    Glad to see your machine made the journey. You will like a 4x4x4 configuration machine even though they aren't popular with most of this forums crowd. They work very well for loading and leveling. With 4ws you are always steering so you can push hard or drag right around a corner or radius. Try the crab steering when leveling, a little angle really helps level off the humps. You'll get used to the big front wheels and they can't be beat in rough ground or soft terrain. I have a JCB 217S rather than a NH, I couldn't find a decent NH when I was looking but they are pretty similar with the NH having a bit more power.

  24. #24coopers2009-04-30 23:10

    I thought you were getting a mini excavator. Now you're switching backhoes?

  25. #25stumpjumper832009-05-01 00:02

    Duke, I'm glad you like it. I think if everyone else tried the new hollands, alot of case, deere, cat, and other backhoes would be getting traded. I know they sure impressed me. Did you get pilot controlls? Oh, and if you really want to get stuff done, suposedly you can adjust the relieve valve up 200 psi and it really gets mean. As well there are parts available to get 25 mph outa road gear. Dump the bucket completely, take the weight off the front wheels, lower the stabilizers so the weight is off the back, and hook a solid object with the hoe... and let me know what happens. I'm bettin it will skid the hoe back...

  26. #26Duke2009-05-01 09:54

    I am getting a mini-ex! I just have to wait for more $$ to come in. My plan was to sell my "newer" backhoe for ~$50K, buy a old/used ~$25K backhoe and use the rest to buy a $20-25Kmini ex. I would rather have an older used b/h and a used mini-ex than a newer backhoe, like my Case 580. That way I can accomplish small or large tasks. :usa

  27. #27Duke2009-05-01 10:01

    No pilots. It's a twin stick. They're real easy to use though. Foot pedal ex-hoe. I don't think they had pilots in '00 model-too old. I kind of chuckle when I look at it knowing everyone's reaction when they see it is the same ...."man that thing's big!!" It is a little too big, but I'll get used to it. It almost has too many "electronic gizmos". I don't even know what half the switches do. :beatsme There's a switch on the steering wheel dash that has a gear icon on it. Even the previous owner has no idea what it does. Probably a switch for a feature not included with this unit. One nice thing I noticed last night about the big front tires is that they do way less lawn damage. They tread very softly, they don't even rip the grass off. I'll get some pics once the rain quits.

  28. #28Bearmtnmartin2009-05-03 12:36

    the switch with the gear if I recall without going out to the yard is to manually roll on the gears. I don't think I've used it in 5 years, but if you hit it by accident, you will wonder why it's taking so long to get up to road speed. Feel free to tell me what the third position on the four wheel -two wheel drive switch is for.

  29. #29Duke2009-05-03 12:57

    You mean it's like a switch for a neutral position so you can push a dead unit without having to push against the gears? Kind of like putting a transfer case in neutral on a 4x4 I bet. Since mine is a Powershift, I would think you would need something like that. Man, this thing is like the space shuttle inside.

  30. #30AtlasRob2009-05-03 14:41

    Great to hear that she landed safely and is opening your eyes wider every time you go near it :thumbsup :drinkup

  31. #31Duke2009-05-03 14:46

    Thanks!

  32. #32Bearmtnmartin2009-05-03 16:01

    I think perhaps its for limp home mode if you have tranny problems. I see no other use unless you just like picking your shifts instead of letting the computer figure it out. (there is a computer strapped to the side of the tranny.)

  33. #33d4c24a2009-05-03 16:25

    if it is the same as the case (uk machines are mostly new holland badged case) the switch is for manual changing i use mine sometimes when roading as when on some hills it will keep changing from 3rd to 4th and then back down 3rd ,so i flick the switch and keep it in 3rd i also use it when i want it to stay in first gear all the time forwards or backwards the 4wd switch should have 3 positions 2wd -4wheel braking constant 4wd and last 2wd

  34. #34mudmaker2009-05-03 20:37

    Pics??????????????????????

  35. #35Duke2009-05-04 08:22

    Don't I wish.....been raining here for 3 days. :Banghead And todays forecast????? Rain. I'll get some soon as I can go outside & take pics.

  36. #36cat3202009-05-04 08:58

    half the country showed rain on the today show map . this week looks to be mostly rain and heavy rain

  37. #37Duke2009-05-04 21:09

    So the 3rd position is 2WD and 2 wheel braking? Thanks

  38. #38d4c24a2009-05-05 13:37

    switch yes duke you,ve got it i find on the case 590 that the front tyres scrub and bind up when using the front bucket with 4 wheel braking ,i have not encountered this on other makes ,my last jcb had over 4500 hours on it with the front tyres still at 50% the case has had its first set of fronts at 1700 and i have been turning it to 2 wd 2 w braking while using the loader i hope you get on well with you new machine cheers graham

  39. #39Duke2009-05-06 09:47

    Another intuitive feature on the New Holland! This thing is way ahead of its' time for an '00 machine.

  40. #40d4c24a2009-05-06 13:41

    4cx the first jcb 4cx i got to operate around 91 had 4 wheel braking here is a picture from last year at the dealers

  41. #41Duke2009-05-06 20:13

    What a sweet machine. I can't believe how "loaded" non-US machines are!

  42. #42Iron Horse2009-05-06 22:08

    Is this the same as a New Holland 115B with Orange paint ?

  43. #43Bearmtnmartin2009-05-07 00:02

    A lot of people don't know that New holland owns Case and a few other brands. I used to enjoy pointing that out to the Case owners who sneered at my "farm tractor". New Holland construction didn't get much respect around here when I bought my machine in 02. I don't get those comments anymore. I bought mine at the same time as my municipality held a competition for a new TLB. Cat was high bidder at 40K more than New Holland. The muni guys think that Cat is where its at(boy are they wrong-I had one)so they went to council for permission to scrap the competitive bidding process and buy the most expensive machine. I had a chuckle a while ago when I was talking to their operator and he said he wished they had their old Case back.

  44. #44Duke2009-05-07 08:49

    Sure as heck looks like a new 115. The big fender flares look like mine and the bottom of the cab doors have the plastic protection on them. My case doors were just a steel frame on glass.

  45. #45Duke2009-05-07 08:59

    You are correct. The company name is "CNH" which is "Case New Holland", which is actually owned by FIAT, IIRC. The way FIAT is buying up companies (they have their eyes on GM's OPEL division), they may end up owning everything soon! I've already ordered some parts for my NH. Much cheaper than CASE in the first comparison. I wanted outside mirrors for my CASE. They were $526 each ahhh yeah, how 'bout we skip the mirrors.... Just ordered them for my NH. $61 each. That's more like it. :notworthy I know it's only a small example, but $526 versus $61 is a nice change. I'm sure the NH has its' "gold plated parts", too. ointhead

  46. #46cat3202009-05-07 09:26

    Duke i need springs for the door latches could not find the right ones went to case could not get them for with out spending a small fortune not as much as your mirrors ened up getting a spring at the hardware store does not work like the origenal but it keeps the window in latches when open .

  47. #47mudmaker2009-05-07 10:39

    They have been under the same ownership for quite some time (more than 10 years I believe), but until I saw that pick on the last page I did not think they were actually labeling the same construction equipment. I know their skids are very different, or were. Backhoes in the past few years have not been even similar so maybe they are changing.

  48. #48stumpjumper832009-05-07 12:57

    I like the case colors better myself, I wonder when other manufacturers are going to start in with 4w steer. Right not its just cat, case / new holland, and jcb right.

  49. #49d4c24a2009-05-07 12:59

    case the European case machines are built on the new holland platform with different cabs ,loaders ,fuel and oil tanks etc underneath they are the same power is from a fiat iveco engine that they try and call a cummins in the case here is a picture of the lastest new holland with the cranked boom cheers graham

  50. #50Duke2009-05-07 15:22

    Those Case hydraulic loaded cylinders on the doors are a "proprietary item" that only fits the Case backhoe and they are nothing more than a $29 lift cylinder, but Case charges like $125 for them.

  51. #51Duke2009-05-07 15:25

    Graham, So true! My case had the newer Iveco diesel in it! I guess the "Italian/European" influence is growing more each year in the Case hoes over here. Most guys prefer the older Case/Cummins/Consolidated diesel and frankly, I thought the older M's & L's I drove had more asz than the newer one I owned. :beatsme Neither has as much as this NH 4 banger with 101HP, even with 5800 hours it feels stronger.

  52. #52Duke2009-05-07 15:28

    Over here, it's only NH & JCB. The American brands are just starting to introduce 4WS with equal tires. I guess NH is still an "American brand", even though they're owned by FIAT. :beatsme They still have manufacturing here in PA and the US. My 115 was made in Italy.

  53. #53capt_met2009-05-07 15:43

    there's one more 4wd, 4ws http://www.terex.com/attachment.php?action=LAUNCH&nav=prod&id=652a23192e0f790001caa41431f62718

  54. #54d4c24a2009-05-07 17:23

    opinions Duke the new holland pictured is a owner operator he had a day on my 2007 590 with 1700 hrs and described it a "crap " i have never been impressed with the performance of my machine and it did go back to the dealers when new ,but nothing was wrong i,m told having only really driven jcb ,s for the last 12-15 years that was all i could compare it to having watched the new holland in action ,it appears to have more grunt and speed to it than mine i will try and get a go on it when our paths cross next and "feel " for my self cheers graham ps the earlier case/new holland like to snap the exhausts mine went at 1100 hrs as have three others i know of ,some now on there second/third i have a sleeve weld onto the stack and it just slots over

  55. #55Iron Horse2009-05-07 20:02

    You may already know this , but if your ride control switch is turned on or the solenoid is stuck . The machine will be very weak in the hydraulics as it is working through the accumulator , this could be your problem .

  56. #56conlaw2012-06-21 09:11

    Well lads, first post here. We have a 2002 LB115.b with extending dipper, we are playing with the idea of taking the backhoe off for silage work for the next month or so, has anyone done it? is it an easy job? will we need to get planking plugs for the valve block? any iinput would be great, thanks!