Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 680E motor locked?

scott1114 · 2022-05-13 08:17

Hi all new to the forum and didn’t want this topic to be my first post. I bought a. 680E and replaced the starter. The starter bendix extends out but won’t turn flywheel over. I can get a pry bar in and many move the flywheel about an inch or more before it gets tiring. The movement would lead me to believe the motor isn’t locked and I have underlying issues. I was trying to locate a barring tool and a location of the 680E where I could find the engine barring tool in. I has hoping to get a couple revolutions out of the motor before I throw more money into it. Does anyone know if there is a location to fit a barring tool in? thank you for any help.

Replies3
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-05-13 09:06

    Welcome to HEF, scott1114 ! What do you mean by turning the flywheel gets tiring ? Using a pry bar like you are is the only way to turn it other than pushing and pulling on the fan blades. Is the battery fully charged and all the cable connections clean and tight ? Sometimes replacement starters are defective.

  2. #2scott11142022-05-13 09:18

    I was just having a hard time getting a good bite on the flywheel teeth to advance it any great amount. I was hoping there was an port on it I could fit a batting tool into, but I guess not. I noticed the hydraulic pump runs off the crank. I bench tested the starter with 24v at the starter dealer and it worked as it should. I even eliminated all wiring except the positive and negative to the start and used the relay wire to try and start the 680e. Still same result.

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-05-13 12:04

    There is a sheet metal cover on the rear / bottom of the torque convertor housing that will expose 1/3 of the flywheel teeth. If you can rotate it just a little a cylinder may be hydro-locked. Could even be a crankshaft or rod bearing problem. It is very difficult to diagnose the problem without being there with you. If you have a voltmeter check the voltage on the battery posts while the starter is engaged. Is the radiator full ? Is there any coolant in the oil pan ? Loosen the drain plug a couple of turns. Any coolant will leak past the threads.