DISCLAIMER: I am making several posts that all start out the same and LOOK like they might be cross-posts but are actually different questions. I did check with management to make sure I wasn't breaking any rules. BACKGROUND INFORMATION : I do gravel driveways, mainly repair/reclamation. Not asphalt, not concrete, just gravel. But I've had to turn away work for not having the capability to do certain things "in-house". Stuff like putting in culverts or stripping away significant amounts of grass and topsoil to install a brand So I decided that during the off-season I would buy some equipment. I am also going to pick up my CDL because I need a more versatile license, but that's only for background. Also, I already have a Kubota 3031 with FEL, but it's dedicated to a specific task and putting a backhoe on the 3-point hitch is not really a good option. The list of equipment I figure I need is as follows: An Excavator : Something in the 70hp range, give or take. Culvert installation and similar work would be typical A Skid Steer : Not sure what power range is smartest. A Trailer : Ideally should be able to carry a payload of about 18,000-20,000lbs. Must be Bumper-Pull, not 5th Wheel/Gooseneck because I would intend to pull it with the dump truck. A Dump Truck : Something in the 5-ton load range. I give that information so that anyone answering my question can see the context of the question FORUM RELEVANT QUESTION(S) : I looked at some equipment yesterday, one of which is a Ford F550 Tractor with an FEL and a Backhoe. FIRST : Is A Ford 555 a viable substitute for an Excavator given the capabilities of each or is it getting into the area of overkill? Certainly it would let me do more than an excavator would but I wonder if it might be TOO much and not do a good job of addressing my basic needs. SECOND : If this tractor/loaded/backhoe is not a good alternative to a dedicated excavator, and I am definitely looking for used equipment, what would be the wisest brands and models in the 70-ish horsepower range? ( That hp number comes from a suggestion from someone in a substantially similar business. ) I should mention that the guy I bought my business from mentioned the 70-ish HP range for an excavator and that puts the 555 in the same size range, with a little less HP and weight. In fact, from what I can tell, the main differences are that a comparable Kubota excavator (KX080-4) has no FEL bucket opposite the backhoe, has a pusher blade behind the backhoe, is tracked where the 555 is wheeled and it's a bit over 8" narrower. THIRD : This tractor is a plain 555, no letter designation and I think it's a 1982. I don't know the hours because I forgot to ask. It has a 4-in-1 bucket, an extendable backhoe, a full cab and heater and a bunch of attachments. ( 16, 24 & 36" backhoe buckets, an additional front bucket, a compactor, a jackhammer, a back-blade, and auger and a couple of booms .) It also weighs just under 15,000 pounds, is 81" wide, fits on a 23 foot trailer and is 12 feet tall. FOURTH : The guy wants $15,000 for this 555. It is NOT pretty or modern but pretty doesn't matter to me and modern may be overrated. Right now it is having a hydraulic line being repaired but otherwise seems mechanically sound. It certainly started and ran easily, although I obviously can't do a full test yet. It does have those accessories I mentioned, but no trailer. I mention the lack of trailer only for judging the price. The guy selling it is an owner/operator who is retiring, but he didn't get it new. I'm not worried about quibbling over a few hundred bucks here and there... I'm interested in knowing if the price is wildly off the mark high, if it's in the ballpark or if it's a really good deal. Also, since I don't have any really deep experience with heavy equipment, are there things I should look for that I don't know?
$15,000 for a 555 is very high. You could get a nice 20 yrs newer 4x4 Case or Deere for that if you shop around.
I thought $15k was high but what confused me was all the attachments that come with it. Multiple buckets, concrete breaker, booms, auger, etc...
jf all the attachments would attach and work, was a 4 wheel drive, enclosed cab with heat and AC the may be worth 10k, will the attachments work with this backhoe?
It's 2WD, has cab heat but not A/C and I do not know if the attachments all work. Don't worry... I'm not actually that dumb, in spite of what my Daddy said... Actually testing everything would be a full days work and is a PITA that I don't want to go through unless I have already decided that I want to buy, and I'm not there yet. For the moment the big question would be... If we assume the tractor is mechanically sound and that all the attachments work, is it worth $15,000? Now, I have to be honest... I'm not really worried about a price that may be 10% too high. But... Given what you said, this would appear to be 50% too high. THAT matters. And you're not the first poster to mention that the price is way too high. Let me ask the question differently... If I am willing to spend $15,000 on a tractor/loader/backhoe and I really don't care about looks or hours as long as it's mechanically sound, has been well maintained and doesn't have any problems around the corner... what range of years and what brand should I be shopping in? Something made in the 80's? The 90's? The 00's?
I've got a 1985 Ford 555A and only rarely wished it was an excavator, mainly for traction on rough ground. Offhand, I'd say the price for the one your're looking at is a tad high but if all the various attachments work, I could see where it might be worth it. But that also depends on what sort of work you plan to do with it. .several times I've wished I had a jackhammer for mine and that auger can be a real handy item. One thing, you mentioned a bumper tow trailer? DON"T DO IT!!! If you don't want a 5th wheel type, then look at a pintle hook type but NOT bumper mounted. You'll want that firmly attached to the towing vehicle's frame, preferably welded and well braced.
I'm all conflicted again... I've been searching online and in publications like Tractor House and I'm really getting the sense that a tractor in this size/power class is very hard to find at that price. I'm sure examples of great deals pop up but generally speaking, $15k buys a smaller, less powerful tractor. In fact, the most common price level that I have seen for tractors in this class is $30k. Of course, I may be misjudging what constitutes a comparable Loader-Backhoe. One thing we're already agreed on is that even if I decide I want to buy it the vehicle would have to be inspected by my mechanic and the operation of all the attachments have to be verified. ------------------------ On the trailer thing, maybe I'm using the wrong word... When I say "bumper pull" I don't mean a ball mounted in the bumper; I only mean to distinguish it from 5th wheel and Gooseneck setups. I absolutely use Lunette rings and pintle hooks. I actually like them better than the more common ball & coupler set-up.
A 555 is probably what most of the operators want; powerful enough. Small enough to trailer without a low boy trailer behind a semi. Try looking at Craigslist and Ebay. They both have heavy equipment. To me, $15k would be mid 90's, not with all the extras, just the tractor with a 4 in 1 and an extendahoe. Also, the prices you've seen are asking prices. Dealers ask the moon and hope someone without a clue wanders in....
The concrete breaker alone may be worth a bunch of money. Get the specs and compare prices. Same with the auger. Hydraulic attachments are pricey. PS since he had the breaker, it's not likely he abused the bucket to break concrete.
You are right about the bucket hosspuller. But a through examination for excessive looseness in the pins and bushings in the boom and dipper needs to be done along with a really close look for cracks in it also.