Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C donor carcass

DirtyHoe ยท 2022-05-12 21:46

I found a good deal on a partial 580C. It was mostly stripped of the major parts. I ended up with the front axle which is mostly garbage. The yoke is egged out from lack of maintenance. Other parts are the steering valve, shuttle shift with torque converter, transaxle, front console/electronics, foot controls, and miscellaneous steel hydraulic lines. Plus all 4 tires(junk) and rims. Is there any valve besides scrap on the main frame? I do plan on saving the backhoe links. Unfortunately, I have to cut the pins to get it apart. They are frozen solid. I told my wife I was going to refurbish, sandblast and paint the frame. Then transfer my other 580C to the shiny reconditioned frame. If looks could kill...

Replies6
  1. #1stinky642022-05-13 09:21

    I'm thinking the most precious part of that lovely carcass is the uncracked transmission housing....good deal!

  2. #2Tinkerer2022-05-13 12:07

    The hydraulic tank has some value if it is good shape where the loader mounts to it.

  3. #3DirtyHoe2022-05-13 20:01

    Hopefully, it's in good shape. I'll know more after I drain the oil and take a peek inside. The power shuttle was a bonus. It was dark when I picked it up and I didn't think it was there. I was after the transaxle. Steve

  4. #4DirtyHoe2022-05-13 20:12

    How does one salvage the hydraulic tank since it is part of the frame? The fuel tank is in decent shape.

  5. #5DirtyHoe2022-05-13 20:24

    The shuttle shift needs a good steam cleaning. Supposedly the machine was working before the engine quit and was removed. The oil in both the shuttle shift and the transaxle is a little milky. The rubber mounts for the engine and shuttle shift were worn out. I guess the machine had a lot of hours on it. I noticed the gas pedal and linkage didn't have much wear compared to my other 580C so that is encouraging. I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

  6. #6Tinkerer2022-05-14 07:42

    Cutting it off of that frame and reusing it would not be worth the effort. It would be easier to leave it on the original frame and do a complete rebuild on that frame. It wouldn't be a project many people would want to do. Depending on circumstances I would do it. Just like any frame off rebuild it could end up looking better than a new one.