Early model 580c. It was working fine last season. Tried to start it up for the first time this season and it fired up immediately but basically died as soon as I let go of the starter button. I've read about the flex ring issue so I tried removing the return line from the injector pump but the same thing is happening. Each time I hit the starter it appears fire and dies immediately. Any idea what it could could be causing it?
It’s not the line that causes the problem, (usually) it’s the fitting in the top cover.. The first fitting usually has a checkball in it.. THAT gets clogged with rust or flex ring.. Let use know..
Thanks. I'll try it soon
I’m not sure I explained it well enough.. It’s the 1st fitting that’s screwed in the top cover.. Once it starts, full will start to come out of the hole so be prepared for that..
...well it looks like you were right. I removed the fitting with the glass valve and the reconnected everything and it runs fine I guess it's time for an injection pump rebuild.
U could try to blow it out with compressed air but if it keeps happening, it’s time..
Just please remember, once it starts surging/hunting.. SHUT THAT MUTHA OFF.. & pull the pump..
I appreciate the help!
Ok be for you pull it... Look at HeavyEquipmentForums I just went through all this. First step is line up the timing marks. Mark the position of the pump. Then ask the thepumpguysc !!
Thanks for the link. Lots of great info on this site. I'm not nearly as brave as you though. I have no interest in taking that pump apart. Just need to find time to remove it and reach out to the pump guy
I’m around if you need me.. ONE of the hardest things is: TURNING THE ENGINE.. Some folks pull the starter and use a screwdriver on the flywheel teeth.. Some people tighten the snot out of the alternator belt and use a socket and ratchet on the alternator nut.. It’s actually a 2 person job.. 1 to turn the engine and 1 to look for the line inside the pump. (w/a flashlight) It’s smart to put a line on the front hub (chalk) to let u know if u rotated the engine to many times or not enough, and missed the line.. The engine will rotate 2x for every 1x of the inj pump.
Do you have the factory book? I can share the pump timing sequence if needed, had to do it last year.
If you wouldn't mind sharing it that would be great. Lots of great resources on this site so I'm hoping the process is relatively simple