Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310SG stalling and then stops running after an hour of work

Armymutt ยท 2025-06-21 16:09

I used the backhoe for some work around the house today. Haven't used it in a few months. It started up after a few key turns - I think the starter needs rebuilt. Anyway, it worked strong for an hour or so - moving trees, dirt, etc. I drove it down the hill to the stream and dredged out the stream a bit where the road washed into it. As I was moving into position, I lost power. It was just a slight loss initially. I finished that job and started to maneuver so I could head back to the shed. Engine quit. Got it started again after some extended cranking. Backed it across the bridge and went to do a 3-point turn. Put it in forward and it died. More cranking, for a longer period and finally got it to stay on with the accelerator applied. Got it in gear and kept the pedal on the floor all the way back to the garage. I noticed it was low on hydraulic fluid, so I filled it up. It was running about 2400RPM up the hill and died when I came to a stop. Starter is unresponsive. The loader is down, which is going to make it a lot more fun trying to get to the starter. Any thoughts on what caused the stalling in the first place? It acted like it was out of fuel, but there's half a tank.

Replies7
  1. #1Diesel Dave2025-06-21 16:37

    Machine serial # ?

  2. #2Armymutt2025-06-21 17:13

    I think it's T0310SG915996. The starter is a reman. I don't know enough about them to be able to tell the brand.

  3. #3Vetech632025-06-21 17:31

    Water in the fuel for $100

  4. #4Armymutt2025-06-21 17:44

    Why would it take an hour to have an effect? That was my initial thought too, but it should have shown up faster, right? Isn't the fuel pickup on the bottom of the tank?

  5. #5mg23612025-06-22 06:01

    Fuel pickup screen plugged? Fuel cap vent clear? If you were digging on a slope, water may have moved past and up into the pickup. The pickup sits about an inch or so off the bottom.

  6. #6Armymutt2025-06-22 07:29

    I'll drain it out a bit today and see if water comes out. It's stored in a building, so rain shouldn't affect it. Condensation is about the only threat. Going to have to be a contortionist to get to the starter solenoid first. With the boom down, it's really hard to get to it.

  7. #7stinky642025-06-22 08:58

    Water or the dreaded green goo from old or bio fuel. Look into the tank with a bright light and see if contaminated. When is last time fuel filters were changed?