Since I'm trying to replace several hydraulic lines on my 580SE and I've already got the front end apart down to the pump I thought it would be the time to go ahead and replace the serpentine belt while I'm in this far. Can I remove the four bolts holding the adapter to the front of the balancer pulley and slide it forward towards the pump enough to squeeze the belt turned sideways thru the space or will I have to remove the pump? If I have to remove the pump should I remove the large bracket bolted to the front of the engine or just remove the pump from the bracket? Thanks for any advice.
The coupler will slide far enough to get the belt down through, they can be difficult to get the coupler to slide forward on the pump shaft, the easiest way I have found is by using a air hammer with a 12" round driver and penetrating oil to loosen the dirt and rust accumulation.