Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C motor mounts

TheOldMan ยท 2012-04-26 09:47

Been re-reading Bowens posts, and boy is there a lot of info there!!! I just reinstalled the rad and hydro pump, and noticed that the front motor mount is completely gone. Should have waited until I got all 3 new mounts, but like a kid with a new toy, wanted to go dig dirt. Then further reading, I discovered that my muffler "shake" is probably attributable to those bad mounts. Here's the question. I know I have to pull the rad again, but does the hydro pump have to come off again, or can I jack the front of the engine up far enough to get it in there with the hoses attached? Discharge side of the pump is a new hose, but suction side is hard pipe w/ close coupled pieces of hose. Now I know why the P/O had the hood off!

Replies4
  1. #1alrman2012-04-26 17:52

    Usually you can unbolt the front mount & carefully raise the engine, without doing anything to the hoses at the pump. However if the suction hose is old & hard it could be something to keep an eye on during the process. It may help to loosen the support bracket for the steel tubing close to the pump to allow a little more movement. Undoing the engine mount bolt can be a challenge, as is driving out the old rubber mount, with the pin for the front axle pivot in the way. TIP - To make this easier I have fabricated an offset socket - cut a 15/16" socket in half & weld a 12mm plate about 2 - 3" long in between the two halves - works a treat Also I have bent up an old steering cyl rod with an offset to work around the pin, to drive out the old rubber mount. Edit - don't use the sump to raise the engine - it will cave in. Use blocks to reach the sump bolts at the block

  2. #2willie592012-04-26 20:25

    And use rubber lube on new mounts to assist installation.

  3. #3TheOldMan2012-04-27 07:31

    Gonna have to think about this one for a while. Nothing is ever easy!!

  4. #4NdgnusTxn2015-05-27 03:36

    I just replaced all three of my motor mounts. It has never run so smooth. The front mount was installed improperly from the factory, and it was the most challenging to replace. After removing the grill and front frame cross-member I used a 4' pry bar to lift the engine by way of the hydraulic pump mount.