Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C tach drive

TheOldMan ยท 2011-12-12 10:32

How about one of you oldtimers familiar with the C give me a hand here. The tach drive on the side of the engine block is still there, with the end of the tach cable outer cover screwed onto it with a rubber cap closing the hole to keep the oil in. My problem is, I can't tell if the cam is turning anything there or not. I can't see anything down in the hole, and I can't see or feel enything turning with the engine idling. is it possible that the tach cable comes with the drive gear attached? Everything I read says that you can't remove the drive assy (press fit) without destroying it. New one is $90+ so don't want to destroy it if it's still good. Anybody got any ideas how to proceed?

Replies5
  1. #1GWS2011-12-12 13:33

    If I'm reading the manual correctly, the cable should be separate from the drive unit. Appears there is also 2 different drive units that were used (non ASAE and ASAE). However, when I tried to remove the tach cable from the engine it would not come out so it could be that it is either stuck or the drive unit is made on the cable. Either way, I'll wait till it breaks and then see what it takes to get it out of the drive.

  2. #2TheOldMan2011-12-12 16:18

    WOW! How did you get that machine that clean? Looks brand new. Guess I've about exhausted all hope of that drive unit being any good. Gonna look for the fabricated remove tool in the service manual, If I don't find it, I'll PM you Thanx EdS

  3. #3alrman2011-12-12 17:20

    I'd be very surprised if you could buy one of these - "Fabricated" is the answer. Here some pics of mine - think I used an old wheel nut off something...... the thread on it doesn't match 100% but screws on enough turns to do the job The tubing is some gal pipe that just fits on to the engine block around the drive unit.

  4. #4GWS2011-12-12 17:26

    If the plug you talk about is pushed down in the tach drive then I would believe the drive is not there since it is pressed into the hole. I've been slowly rebuilding the machine all summer when I have the time. Made a tool last night to remove the bushings in the backhoe boom and swing tower. Works pretty easy to remove and install them but you need a 5' cheater bar. Don't have to heat them or weld on them to get them out.

  5. #5MMH2011-12-13 22:14

    getting my post count in - #3