Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C vs 580B

TheOldMan ยท 2011-11-19 10:12

Looking at 2 backhoes, both for cheap. B is in pretty bad shape, but runs and all hydraulics work. Has seeping crack in side of block (freeze?). No water in oil. Needs lots of cylinder work. C we are going to look at tomorrow. 2 hour drive, but supposed to have been on the farm for last 20 years, so probably in better shape. Why does everybody say the C is so much better than the B? How much does the C weigh? (have to trailer home). Leaning towards the C - will make a decision tomorrow!

Replies12
  1. #1Mudpile2011-11-19 12:02

    580C has a redesegned stronger frame with much improved shuttle access for maintonance. I think the loader arms are heavier to. Shares the better shuttle with some later models. Engine isoleted in rubber. Trans-axle much easier to remove. Radiator much easier to work on. Front axle is stronger and cheeper to fix. C model has master and slave cylinders for brake actuashion, more costly to maintoin than the B's mechanecal brakes. C model has the 207 engine, probably not much harder to find an engine block, than the B's 188. Mudpile

  2. #2cat3202011-11-19 13:29

    to me it is like night and day between a B and a C not because it's the newer model bjut it was the first model that they went from basicly a fram tractor backhoe to what we have today flat cab floor all steel roll over cab just an overal better machine .

  3. #3TheOldMan2011-11-19 15:45

    Thanks guys, gonna go look at the C tomorrow, but I think you've made up my mind. Now if i can just strike a deal---

  4. #410ec2011-11-19 16:18

    Good Luck on the 580C Good luck on the deal. I need another "newbie" on here to ask the 580C questions I'm not smart enough to know to ask.

  5. #5sawdust2k2011-11-19 21:58

    Please forgive a new man's introduction to this forum. This is one of the three to get status.

  6. #6sawdust2k2011-11-19 22:00

    This is number two.

  7. #7sawdust2k2011-11-19 22:06

    This is three. Just bought a 74 580b, manual shuttle. Engine runs great. Front loader seems to be fine, no leaks i've seen. The problem is the trans, or rearend is broken. It clanks loudly most of the time as the tractor moves forward and reverse, no first or second gear either, any idea, trans or rearend?

  8. #8sawdust2k2011-11-19 22:14

    Thanks again to TheOldMan for the post to piggyback on. Any longtimers here that can redirect my last post to the right forum would be appreciated.

  9. #9TheOldMan2011-11-20 17:12

    I BOUGHT IT!!! I bought the 580C today, for $3250. I'm truly amazed, the pins and bushings are pretty tight overall, (it's a 79) picked the front end up on the bucket, and couldn't get any play in the kingpins w/ tires off the ground. Hadn't been started or touched in 18 months, so had a little problem getting it running, but it runs strong, and doesn't smoke. All the hydraulics work, and it will move forward and backward. Couldn't drive it around because we blew a retract hose on one outrigger and couldn't pick it up. Both cylinders on the bucket tilt are leaking. This machine has been on the farm for 20 years, and as a typical farmer, nothing was fixed, just jury rigged. Bungee cords and vise grips holding controls etc., everything that moves is froze up or stiff, but a liberal amount of PB Blaster did wonders. He did love his grease gun though, so everything is in pretty good shape. Didn't know if we could buy it or not, so didn't take the trailer, so will go get if Friday and bring it home. Will post pictures then.

  10. #1010ec2011-11-20 19:17

    Great, and at what seems to be a really good price! Please keep us (me) informed on what you find once you get it moving and home. Looking forward to the pictures. I purchased a 580C about a month ago. The brakes were shot. I'm currently going through the electrical. I have a couple of cylinder seal leaks, a few sloppy pins/bushings, and some welding needed on my digger bucket. Motor, gearbox and rear seem to be in good shape. I'm sure I will be needing help and anything you can post relative to your machine will be much appreciated. Thanks.

  11. #11shopguy2011-11-20 22:49

    Had one of thoes do that ,it was rearend take the floor out and romove top covers and give her a look see. good luck.

  12. #12TheOldMan2011-11-26 09:49

    Got the 580C home yesteray. what a hassle. I borrowed a trailer from my sons boss, and didn't think anything about the registration. Right in the middle of Eustis Fl., DOT put the blue lights on me. Pulled me into a parking lot, and did his inspection. To make a long story short, he was upset because I didn't have a CDL, but finally agreed with me that farming operations are exempt. Said it was a gray area, and he could ticket me, but the judge would probably throw it out. Said i should have a CDL because GVW was over 23K#. The trailer had no breakaway switch, my parking brake didn't hold, I had a 55gal drum of water in the loader bucket to hold the front end down when loading, and it wasn't strapped, (bucket was up agains the gooseneck, so it couldn't get out), I had the 4 corners chained, but no chain over the loader bucket, and of course no trailer registration. After writing pages of paper, he informed me that the no breakaway switch was an out of service violation, and I couldn't move the trailer until it was added. I'm in a Kmart parking lot in the middle of Eustis on the day after thanksgiving - where am I going to get this switch? Well, I guess this is where Mr. NiceGuy kicked in. He wrote me a ticket for not registration ($12 and show the courthouse a copy of reg), and escorted me, trailer and all to a Tractor Supply a few miles away. He informed me that he wasn't going to wait for me to install the switch, but in case I decided to violate the out of service order and go on down the road, if I got caught, it was a $2750 fine and jail time. We bought the switch and atest lite and installed it. Foolled with it for an hour, and could not make it work, but it was the only TS had in stock, so couldn't exchange it. Finally I decided I'd take the chance, it was installed (still didn't work), I told my son, you follow me close, and if we get stopped, we'll swear it worked in the parking lot, and must have failed. A few miles down the road, he called me and told me I had no brake lights on the trailer, we stopped, but didn't find the problem, so we went on, with him following closeley. About 40 miles from home, all of a sudden, I've got no trailer brakes. Believe me, if you want to know if your ABS system is functioning, try stopping with no trailer brakes and a backhoe on the trailer. The old dually jumps up and down like it is on a trampoline. We mad it home, travelling very slowly, leaving lots of room to slow down etc. Now I've got to figure out how to fix the trailer as well as work on the old C.