Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580c wants to run all day ?

DanD580c ยท 2025-04-26 22:53

Here's the story of my 580c pump rebuild project. After a couple of injection pump rebuilds and the pump gear taking a vacation off the end of the shaft due to the locating pin shearing off after the pump end nut came undone, I had more work to do, uggg . I did have to remove the front gear cover to retime the pump and install the new relocating pin / split pin (The Pump Guy) kindly supplied me with one. Installed the gear and aligned everything, flywheel mark before 15 degrees BTDC, drive gear dot alignment for the cam and pump gear and reinstalled the octopus injection lines, fuel supply lines and it was time to bleed and see if it will run? All 4 injector lines were loosed at the injectors to bleed air, so after a good 20+ rotations diesel appeared at the end of the lines, yay. Give it another 10 or so rotations for good measure, tighten everything down. To my amazement it started after the 3rd crank! So let it warm up a bit and watched quite a bit of black smoke exit the exhaust, but that started subsiding after a couple of minutes. I'm thinking, not bad for an amateur, right? Wrong again. Pull back on the fuel cutoff arm and nothing, still running. Slammed the lever back and forth and whapped it with my nylon hammer, nothing. Rut Row, what did I do. Stuffed some rags into the intake tube and it finally stopped. From all the threads I've read here it seems like the metering valve is not closing properly. Tomorrow I'll pull the top off the pump and see what's going on with the linkage but I was also curious about adjusting the metering valve torque screw? I'm praying that goofy c clip popped off the shaft linkage but who knows what else will keep it from turning off? Thanks all...

Replies4
  1. #1Tones2025-04-27 00:46

    Don't knock it. 99.9% of the threads here are about equipment that won't run.

  2. #2DanD580c2025-04-27 15:11

    No kidding...guess all i need to know is the metering valve the only thing that can shut the fuel off? Thanks

  3. #3thepumpguysc2025-04-27 15:34

    Did u reuse the shut off clip.? If yes, u hafta close it up a smidge with a couple SOFT TAPS with a hammer.. The long leg goes into the groove.. I use a nut driver to pop it onto the shaft.. Good luck.

  4. #4DanD580c2025-04-27 22:27

    Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go tomorrow...D