Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Lucas/CAV pump

Tobywun · 2025-04-26 16:50

I think I've read every available post about this pump and the issue with the flex ring disintegrating. I've had a 90s Case 580SE for several years, no real issues. Recently, it would run for 30 minutes or less and just putter out. Other days, runs for hours, non-stop no issue. I pulled the top fitting off to look for coffee like debris, or any debris, and there was nothing, no glass bulb, absolutely nothing, can see all the way into the pump. Thought maybe I pulled the wrong one, so I pulled the most forward fitting, there was a little piece of something inside, removed it, but nothing else, no glass bulb. Am I missing something? There always been fuel in the filter, replaced the pump because it wouldn't prime. Loosened the fuel cap. Otherwise, nothing replaced. Pictures attached. I know scpumpguy is the go to expert and certainly don't mind sending this thing for rebuild if needed; I'm not even going to try to. All thoughts appreciated, even sarcastic ones.

Replies3
  1. #1alrman2025-04-26 17:11

    Welcome to HEF @lastnamedangerfield@gmail The flex ring issue is only on the Roosamaster / Standadyne pumps. CAV pumps don't have this problem. When you say loosened the fuel cap - does that mean when the machine "puttered out" - you loosened the cap & no difference was made? What do you do to make the engine start again, after it stops? Have you replaced the fuel filters? Any sign of water or trash in the filters? Is there a good supply of fuel to the lift pump?

  2. #2Tobywun2025-04-26 18:49

    Thanks for the clarification about the pump and flex ring. Yes, loosing the fuel cap when it died did not help. After a few hours, it will sometimes restart as normal. If not a shot of ether (I know it's bad) will get it going and for several days af6er it will restart with no issues. I haven't changed the fuel filter yet but the fuel in it has been clean, no trash. Plenty of fuel in the tank. Thanks for the comment and suggestions, I'll replace the filter.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2025-04-26 19:11

    The 1st thing u GOTTA DO is change the fuel filter.. THEN OPEN THE BLEEDER (5/16) BY THE NAME PLATE AND CRANK THE ENGINE UNTIL FUEL SQUIRTS OUT WITH NO AIR AND TIGHTEN.. YOUR CAV/LUCAS/DELPHI PUMP doesn’t have a flex ring. It DOES HAVE a filter under the big inlet nut.. BUT.. heed this warning.. Once u get the 15/16 inlet nut off and pull the big spring out, YOU MUST hold down the guts w a small pocket screwdriver.!! And with a 90* scribe, fish on the outside of the hole for the filter.. if u allow the guts to come up, ur in trouble. U can probably find a picture of it on google..”DELPHI INLET FILTER”.. How about taking the line off at the supply pump “inlet” & back blowing the line towards the fuel tank.. Or changing out the supply pump.??