Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C wouldnt shut off!

timmi ยท 2009-05-15 02:51

Hello.. another problem I had today with my 580C.. After running it at 2000rpm for about 30 minutes and driving it to its parking spot, it wouldnt shut off! It also was idleing very high, over 1000 rpm. It would not drop down to 650-750 where it normally stays at. The linkages up to the injection pump are fine, I checked those first... It was running very rough for the later part of the time, which I attributed to low fuel, but then when it wouldnt shut off, and I have to think its something more than a low fuel problem... Does this sound like the IP is going out? Or is there another explanation for this? Eventually it died on its own, but it didnt sound good and took 3-4 minutes with the shutoff valve turned off... Any ideas? Thanks...

Replies4
  1. #1RonG2009-05-15 04:36

    The shutoff is controlled by an electric solenoid on those and it sounds like it is failing.They are simple to change.Ron G

  2. #2ghitch752009-05-15 09:51

    my C has a hand pull cable to kill it....no solenoid.....might check to see if it's out of adjustment...

  3. #3digger242j2009-05-15 12:09

    I have to agree with ghitch75. No solenoid on my C either. The later models, yes, but not the C. That having been said, it did, in its later life, have a lot of resistence in pulling the shutoff cable. And it was even worse pushing it back in. As to why yours wouldn't idle down as it should have, I have no idea...

  4. #4RonG2009-05-15 14:51

    I was still asleep ) I don't think I would have known if I was awake either..........I thought they all shut off with the key switch.Ron G