Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aftermarket Guages, do you know your temp?

joeeye59 ยท 2009-05-16 12:09

Its killing me not knowing what my temps and pressures are. Has anybody, or should I ask can it be done with ease to get a set of gauges and hook them up? So I can keep an eye on 1988 JD 310c backhoes my coolant temp, oil pressure, and what ever else? I didn't look yet if there was such a package out there that can be purchase to do this. Does anybody else feel the same way about wanting to know what the temp is rather than relying on a warning lamp?

Replies5
  1. #1amunderdog2009-05-16 14:05

    I am in a similar boat. My old 580K has ceased to have functioning instrument panel. I have been over it all several times. I can find no reason for my problem. They started out working intermittently and now have failed completely. The worst part is that the charging circuit goes thru the idiot light to make connection. It is a drag having to stay close to a battery charger.

  2. #2Dualie2009-05-16 16:58

    You can get cheep gauges from a speed shop that should work for normal engine functions.

  3. #3joeeye592009-05-16 19:34

    I seen in Walmart a 3 pack gauge unit for cars, I wanted to look into it on how it was set up to connect, either with the existing temp sensor, or I'd find another point of entry to the coolant, because I believe the temp sensor for a lamp indicator is different from a sensor that gives temp readings. So I'm not sure what that kit came with, like if it has a threaded sensor, because I didn't want to tear it all apart to open it damaging the plastic case it was in, it was one of them sealed plastic packages... :bash

  4. #4Phil2009-05-16 20:02

    I like to have a mechanical water temp gauge at the very least. An amp gauge is nice, or a least a voltmeter. I always worry about the line from a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Better to use an electric one instead and not worry about damage to the oil line ruining your engine. I find the quality of gauges is going downhill. Amp gauges with loose needles, water temp guages that don't read right or in the case of mechanical temps, needles are not dampened. It seems to be hard to find something not made in China. I keep any used gauge now out of an old piece of equipment. Getting the gauge trio to look good is hard too. I recently bought a good hole saw(made in U.S.) just for drilling gauge holes in 1/8" plate so I can make my own dash to fit in where I want it. Phil

  5. #5Duke2009-05-17 19:37

    That is one of the reasons I didn't buy a Deere when I was looking for a 5+ yr old used machine. It's hard to believe that it took Deere so long to build a machine with a full set of gauges.