Hello everyone!! I just bought my 1st backhoe a '74 580b that has the ring gear and pinion blown. The PO started repairs and quit. It's disassembled but still on its tires so I can get it home about 2 hrs away. I brought the hoe home the other day, the weather and lack of locating a trailer to bring the tractor home is driving me nuts. But I digress, PO has purchased the new ring gear and pinion, it also needs 1 bull gear and probably 1 or both side plates for the ring gear shaft.. Don't have to mention the brakes needing attention. PO also pulled the trans gears out... Looks like I have everything in a pile... So here is my question.. I have a friend/mechanic who will help put it back together for an unknown fee. He's not sure what all it needs yet and neither am. I have located a '70 580ck that is being scrapped. I believe both are clutch type units. Will the 580ck trans and final drive swap out? Might be a faster repair and may cost about the same as repairing mine with parts and labor....thoughts??
I did some searching here on the site and saw several mention a man in IN that could be of some assistance. I called him and he graciously answered my questions about swapping the CK trans and rear end into my 580b. The world needs more people like him who took his time to answer the phone to help someone he does not know.. Thank you sir!!!
Dale is the man. Old school good guy.
The transaxles are the same for the 580 and 580b. If you can get the transaxle out of the scraped machine pretty cheap that would be the way to go if it is in good shape. I would change all oil seals of course and check brakes.
The 580ck being scrapped belonged to my friend's brother. It had an engine problem and after the repair it blew a hydraulic hose and was parked again. That was 4 years ago. He priced me the trans and rear really reasonable, cheaper than fixing mine. I will go thru and chk things out and replace seals and brakes. Do the diff side plates have to come off to replace the seal?..hoping not... This unit is from late model 580ck so hoping all the parts r the same.
Good deal and good luck.
Looks like Sunday I finally get to drag the 580b home. It's sat for a couple of years. I'll change the oil and filters, drain the old fuel, probably fill the fuel filter with Howes to help lubricate the pump . Should I pull the injectors and squirt some Howes or oil in the cylinders? What weight oil should I use?? It's cold here in MO..Hope it fires up......
Be safe getting the old girl home. I wouldn't pull the injectors unless the engine won't turn over, those type injectors are a pain to get out sometimes. You can use a heavy duty straight 30W engine oil that is what's recommended, but a good 15W40 diesel engine oil will work. Sounds like you have a plan for the fuel system though.
Hope this doesn't derail your thread but what part of Missouri are you in? From someone who would never get a basket Case back together, I wish you good fortune in your endeavor.
I'm in SW MO.. It looks like I located a trans and rear end from another unit being scrapped.. Crossing fingers it goes back together. Going to start a new thread once I get it home on Sun afternoon. Post photos as work progresses.
Looking forward to the new thread. I'm in SE corner so probably too far to watch it go back together.
Hey man I'm close to you I think I'm in NEA just under bootheel
Travel that way often. Jonesboro, Paragould, Walnut Ridge. Grew up in Kennett.
Cbait580b - there's a heavy equipment salvage yard on Route 3 just north of Cape Girardeau (Wolf Lake) that may have some parts if you come up short. Also at Sikeston there is a complete unit but I don't know it's status. Been sitting a very long time.
I was born in Cardwell still have family there
I got the old girl home today. My old f250 diesel worked hard towing her and the rental trailer 140 miles I took a few pics unloading and will start my new thread soon.