Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Winter Preps

Squire ยท 2018-11-25 22:16

Hello across the board. New guy trying to learn the ropes here. Just purchased my first backhoe 580 SL series 2 98 and was just thinking of my intended use this winterseason. First question would be I have dicent rear tires size 17 5 24 there just seems like a very tight fit between interior wheelwell to cabin structor. Can I put chains on this size of tire and not expect contact or chafing to occure on the inside of well ? Just looks like a very small clearance. Any advice will help to put my mind at ease. Any suggestions on who has the best price/product ? This will be used in an off-grid location that has pretty darn good amount of snowfall.

Replies19
  1. #1hosspuller2018-11-25 23:19

    Make sure your fuel is winterized. No Fuel, no backhoe.

  2. #2Delmer2018-11-26 00:09

    No, I'd bet the chains won't work. Do you have hills or is this flat?

  3. #3Tinkerer2018-11-26 08:00

    Custom made wheel spacers and longer mounting studs is your only option to use chains. Or, reversing the wheels. But that would require demounting the tires and turning them around so the tread rotation is correct. Not a good option IMHO.

  4. #4donkey doctor2018-11-26 08:56

    Would you not just swap sides with the tires and rims or am I picturing it wrong d.d.

  5. #5Grady2018-11-26 11:48

    I've heard of people who have done that but the wheels weren't designed to be reversible. If you look at them, they are different front and back also the holes are only chamfered on one side - on mine anyway. It probably will work anyway if you tighten them evenly and keep an eye on them. I have chains on my K without flipping the wheels but maybe the L is tighter? Wouldn't think so but maybe.

  6. #6Squire2018-11-26 15:00

    WIthout a doudt Non Gel & Stablizer any thing else ?

  7. #7Squire2018-11-26 15:03

    Mostly flat but there are dips & bolders lots of brush so my 4N1 will be very usefull. Just concerned with amount of snow & packed roads. Snowmobiles really pack it down.

  8. #8Squire2018-11-26 15:05

    I may just have to wait till the spring thaw & mud season !

  9. #9Tinkerer2018-11-26 16:49

    I think you are correct DD. Like I posted earlier; reversing the wheels is not a good option. The wheel spacers should work tho. If Squire already has 1 inch of clearance a 1 inch spacer would be good for 2 inches of clearance.

  10. #10Squire2018-11-26 20:39

    Yes I would say there is at least a 1 in" clearance between inside tire wall & body. If Im correct, these spacers go over the wheel studs ? wouldn't the studs need to be longer ? Or am I looking at it the wrong way ?

  11. #11Grady2018-11-26 23:00

    I think the wheel spacers being discussed have their own studs. You attach the spacer to the machine and the wheel to the spacer. What kind of shape are your tires in? What are you trying - or hoping - to get done this winter?

  12. #12Tinkerer2018-11-27 08:10

    I have had wheel spacers made. They did not have the studs in them. They had holes, so that there is a continuous stud thru the axle flange and thru the wheel.

  13. #13Grady2018-11-27 08:50

    If it's only an inch that would work - cheaper, too.

  14. #14Squire2018-11-27 10:05

    Grady: Thanks for the input, New on the front, rears are 80-85 % Im just getting into this and need to plow a previous graded road that does have ice patches . Then its off to take down & remove brush maybe open a trail or two wile its winter. I would feel much better if I increased the traction with chains.

  15. #15Squire2018-11-27 10:11

    Tinkerer: I'm assuming that spacers come in various mounting ways ? Are there any places online where I can see the mounting styles ? Have not done a internet search as of yet. On to that next.

  16. #16Tinkerer2018-11-27 11:19

    The spacer bore has to match the axle flange same way a wheel does. I purchased mine from a machine shop in, I think it was Las Vegas. I would think anyone that has a plasma cutter could make them. The ones in the image are an example.

  17. #17Squire2018-11-27 12:53

    Many thanks for this info. Is the guage of the spacers dependant upon the amount of threds remaining on lugs ?

  18. #18cuttin edge2018-12-17 09:03

    One thing about a backhoe is that you can always get unstuck. We have 2 NH 675s and an LB95 they go all winter pushing 10 foot power angle box blades, no chains, no issues. They can be dicy at times, but as long as you're not on logging roads with mile long hills. The boys unlock the brake peddals and steer with the peddals when it's really slippery. Some of the younger guys use the brake steering to spin 180 degrees in larger areas

  19. #19Tinkerer2018-12-17 09:47

    To be able to get a decent spacer say, 1 inch minimum, the studs or lug bolts MUST be lengthened the same amount of the spacer width. Sorry for the late reply !