Hi everybody. I am brand new to this forum, just signed up today. I was wondering about external block temperatures on a case 188d. I just replaced a radiator and thermostat on a 1970 580ck. After replacement I ran the backhoe moderately for an hour or so. Temp guage is questionable at best, so I checked various places on engine with an infrared thermometer. Oil filter gave temp of about 145 F, sump about the same. On the block I had temps of 175, 189, 168 and 225...all F. the 225 worried me a little. do some cylinders run this much hotter than others? could I have an injector issue? is an external temp of 225 something I should worry about? than you for any input.
If you were anywhere close the the exhaust manifold, you might have gotten an erroneous reading? Only place I'd be concerned with checking would be the top and bottom radiator hoses. As long as you're seeing a 20-30 degree temp drop, the high temp isn't over 220, and you still have some room to go in the green range on the gauge, don't worry about it. However, if you're seeing 220-230, and the gauge is only halfway, should maybe get a new gauge.
Thank you. I was on the intake side of the block with the higher temp. Coolant and radiator hose temps were ok. Is it normal for the block to be hotter than coolant temp? And if so is 225 acceptable for the 188d? Thanks again
If you're worried about the cylinders, or injectors, check the exhaust manifold temps when you start it cold and as it warms up a minute, then after working a bit. What did the old radiator look like inside? did you flush the engine before the new radiator? and what do the radiator hoses give you for temps? Those temps seem odd to me if they were on the same spot for each cylinder, the surface was in the same condition, and you checked enough times to get a good average. Then again, if you don't have a bypass thermostat, then there might not be that much circulation because the thermostat is not going to open much in NY, ND, or WI this week. You could mess around with cardboard in front of the radiator to test things out, but if your water pump is intact, the coolant level is fine, and you didn't have an old radiator full of rust, then don't worry about it till next summer.
I haven't ever had to get busy checking temps with a gun due to cooling issues, when I've had trouble, it's always been radiator related. Blow it out or replace radiator solves the problem. You having a new radiator and t-stat eliminates a lot of potential problems. Why did you replace the radiator?
thanks, Delmer, I did not flush engine before radiator replacement. radiator hose temps are fine...168 at bottom and 198 on top. old radiator was not good. rusty, more than likely original to the machine. should I be concerned about block temps at this point? Shimmy1, I replaced the radiator because it was clogged with old hydraulic oil and dust from previous leaks. lots of bent fins and just in general lack of maintenance. I did not flush engine, so I can only imagine amount of rust inside jackets. I hope all is well cooling wise, just wondering what temps the old 188 is capable of withstanding?
The block temps don't bother me. As long as it runs smooth, idles smooth enough, smokes appropriately, etc then run it. You'll know soon enough if it's running hot and/or not circulating right. It's not an aluminum everything hotrod, it will be fine at 225, but I'd still want to know why. You did drain the old coolant, right? What did that look like? did you drain it into a bucket to see if there was sediment?
What is the history of the machine? Was it overheating before your replaced the radiator?
I did drain old coolant, it didn't look too bad, not much sediment or rust. as far as history of the machine I cant be sure, hour meter doesn't work but shows almost 3000 hours. it was not overheating with old radiator as far as I could tell, but radiator was in bad shape. ive been told the 188 was a pretty solid engine. I just want to keep the old girl alive, they are cool old machines
here is a video I took when I was checking the temps just to give you guys an idea. How does this engine sound to you guys? never heard another 188 run accept for this one so I have no idea what it should sound like. not a lot of smoke from pipe as you can see. hopefully she has some life left in her.
Sounds fine to me. Those temp guns don't shoot one spot like the laser would lead you to believe, it's like 8:1 or wider, so if you're 16" from the engine it's a 2" circle that you're measuring, that and the adjustable emissivity setting will make it not so accurate if you're not close and pointing at an identical surface from the same angle. So the temps varying a little isn't that big a deal IMHO.
I did not realize that about the temp guns. Thanks for all of your input. Hard to find anybody around me familiar with this engine, nice to know there are guys like you here who are.