bought an old 2 WD 580D (around 1986 or so) a few years ago and was running fine. rebuilt the cyclinders etc to keep it leak free. Used around the house during new construction. Yesterday, it starts but after 30 seconds or so, the engine starts to lock up. from my inexperienced ear, sounds like something is seizing up in the engine....piston scoring? If you let it cool down for 10 minutes it will restart and seize up again. any idea on where to find the motor model and SN. Found C291 so thinking this was the model number. can this vintage machine be rebuilt in frame? you can pull the crankshaft without removal? Or just junk it? any idea on what scrap value is worth or sell off some parts and then to scrap yard. I thought it was fuel related but definitely not. thanks for any advice....located north of philly by 40 miles or so.
Remove the engine oil filter and cut open. Unfold the media and look for shiny stuff. If it is clean, It may not be an engine problem. Separate the hydraulic pump coupling from the engine crankshaft. Start the engine and see if runs normally.
Yeah, you need to or have an experienced mechanic help you diagnose the problem before condemning the engine. It could be a hydraulic problem. If the engine was seizing I don't think you'd be able to keep starting it. I think it would eventually seize solid. I've seen it on 2 stroke dirt bikes where they seize and loosen up after they cool off but a 4 stroke engine usually seizes up and doesn't loosen on its own. I think the gas/oil mixture in a 2 stroke helps to prevent the pistons from seizing up as tight although they can seize solid depending on what the caused the problem.
Good suggestion on the oil filter and disconnect the pump. I'm waiting for my experienced heavy equipment mech to have some time (on vacation).