Hi, I have a left rear brake or something else locking up on a 580D just on the left side. If I shift directions so far it unlocks. It does not stay locked up when I apply the parking brake. We have a 580B service manual and I am wondering if any of the information from the 580B manual will apply to the 580D. Also, what fluid do I use in the power shuttle, that fluid seems to be low? Thanks, Rod
You can view the parts pages online ( https://webparts.pvassociates.net/cnh/webparts/main.php ), just type in your model number and select the parts page you want to view. You need to remove the left brake assy and inspect components, it's a common problem on these machine. You'll find it very dirty in there. Clean up all the parts and you'll probably find broken spring/springs, and maybe excessive wear on the brake cam balls or brake cam ball grooves. Excessive worn friction plate can cause this as well. Sometimes, it's a combination of all the above, just worn out brakes. What happens is; the brake band actuated by the slave cylinder causes resistance on the brake cam drum. Meanwhile, the inner ball cam plate is still being turned by the drivetrain. With the cam plate turning and the brake cam drum stopping, this causes the cam balls to push the cam drum outward into the friction plate. When everything gets worn, the cam balls get to the end of their grooves and get locked. Only thing that will unlock the balls and release everthing is going opposite direction.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good explanation of the workings of the brakes. The page that the link is for does not work unless you are signed in. Do the 580B and the 580D have any simularities? If so I can use the 580B service manual I have. If not I will have to find something to look at since I have not done this repair before.
Well, let's use a different link ( http://casece.com/wps/portal/casece/LandingPage ). Click on N. American/English, at the next page click the link for Search for Parts at top of page. Enter your model number when the page opens. It's really simple. I don't know if the B and D are the same, may be, just don't know.
I believe the D's do not have the same components as the B's did, especially with brakes. But I could be wrong and it could be up to the K models before the brakes were designed much better.
I just bought a D with new brakes. Case had to break the tractor to change the brakes.
Atcoquip is right on target !
brake discs and bands are same. actuaters are different, manual pull linkage on B's,hydrraulic slave cylinder on C's and D's hard to keep fluid in system.throw away the self adjuster linkage and screw an old lug nut [7/16" fine thread] on for a lock nut on top of adjuster nut.
im 90% sure that the brakes ona b are a different setup than a d i do no that a late model c model is the same as a b tho . hope that helps