Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580K Exhaust Manifold ( Very Bad Corrosion )

planecrazzzy ยท 2012-09-05 10:46

Hey Guys, I was up north doing some maintenance on my 580K Case Backhoe... When I saw my Exhaust Manifold..... Oh Crap , not just a crack... but a big eroded area all along what might have started as a crack... OK... No Biggie , I'll buy another one and replace it.... Oh Crap, Talk about corrode city.... I think EVERY bolt will break.... Every one will need to be drilled and tapped ??? I'll try the easy-out thing with some heat... But this looks terrible... Now I'm back in the cities... Looking up the parts... I'm not exactly sure what I have... The one on the Coleman site looks "Close"... But I'll wait til I look again... Another thing that Ticked me off... Tried to change the Oil... Somebody tightened the hell outa the plug... I used the box end of a wrench , and it turned on the bolt... I'll need to bring a small pipe wrench next time I go up there... I've seen this happen before.... Mechanics that didn't know better , over tightening oil plug bolts.... . Tons of Fun... . Still,..... Got more trees cleared for my Airstrip this weekend... That 580K is a pretty sweet machine... . Gotta Fly... Mike & "Jaz" the Flying Dogz .

Replies5
  1. #1johnny_waz2012-09-05 11:49

    That must be a common problem on that model, cause I looked at 2, 580K's before purchasing my current, Deere 410e. Both the 580K's I looked at had erroded manifolds and bolts. 1 was so loud when the dealer started it up, I immediately new it had an exhaust issue.

  2. #2Emerson2012-09-06 08:19

    Mines the same way.. large crackdown the collector almost makes the manifold looks like it's in 2 pieces. Every bolt I can see looks non existent, looks like flakes of rust holding it on. I'm going to leave mine until it falls off because it really can't get any worse. If you do tackle it make sure and take lots of pictures!

  3. #3planecrazzzy2012-09-06 09:11

    I priced out the parts... Manifold , Gaskets , screws.... came to $181. , probably $200 after shipping... I'm not exactly sure when I'll do it... But I'll take pictures. As I said before , Each hole might need to be re tapped.... But I'd rather give the "easy outs" plenty of opportunity to get the old piece out... . I was hoping to hear from someone who "Has" fixed one.... I wanted to hear , It's a hassle.... But it was a piece of cake..., Or... It was easier than it looked... Yeah, That's what I was hope'n . . Gotta Fly... . .

  4. #4Emerson2012-09-06 09:20

    I'll snap a few of mine too.. It might not be to bad if there's enough meat left to grab. I'd try a pair of vice grips 1st if there's enough to grab. I'd also use ALOT of heat and maybe 2-3 days of Penetrating fluid sprays.

  5. #5planecrazzzy2012-09-06 09:46

    IF I can get something to turn... Fine... But I'm not counting on it... I'd be happy grinding the bolt flat at the heads.... That'll gimme a good surface to drill... This stuff is too corroded to hope for penetrating fluid to help... But that's just my experience... . Gotta Fly... PS The piece that sets on top of the Exhaust manifold , Which ties into the Muffler looks bad too. But they want about $80 bucks for that stupid thing.... I'll make one instead, It's just a pipe on a Flange .